problem with wlr primers staying in pocket

I've been loading 20 years and never had one go off seating in all the thousands I've loaded. I seat using the seater on my rock- chucker.

That said, you are foolish to the extreme if you don't yank the pill and dump the powder back into your scale's pan until you get another primer in there.

Good catch Nimrodmar10---- I'm hoping he was simply wording poorly and not re-priming loaded ammo.

Same here for loading decades and priming with the press. Never had one off while seating primers. Never the less I would NOT prime a charged cartridge.

I am not sure how you guys interpreted my post; we had 2 Winchester primers "mis-fire" i.e. they did not go off in the gun. I am not sure how you came up with that I was putting primers in live cases or that they went off in the press. I ain't the smartest guy around, but I ain't that dumb. Ha, Ha! So back to my original issue, have any of you had problems with Winchester primers mis-firing? The dent looked like the firing pin hit them plenty hard. Having read some other stuff on the Win primers being shorter than normal, would that lead to a mis-fire?

I am not sure how you guys interpreted my post; we had 2 Winchester primers "mis-fire" i.e. they did not go off in the gun. I am not sure how you came up with that I was putting primers in live cases or that they went off in the press. I ain't the smartest guy around, but I ain't that dumb. Ha, Ha! So back to my original issue, have any of you had problems with Winchester primers mis-firing? The dent looked like the firing pin hit them plenty hard. Having read some other stuff on the Win primers being shorter than normal, would that lead to a mis-fire?
That is usually caused by the primer not being seated to the bottom of pocket. The bolt hits the primer but part of the energy is spent fully seating the primer to pocket bottom, so no ignition. That's why I use a hand primer so I can feel that each primer hits the bottom with the same pressure, regardless of variance in primer depth.

That is usually caused by the primer not being seated to the bottom of pocket. The bolt hits the primer but part of the energy is spent fully seating the primer to pocket bottom, so no ignition. That's why I use a hand primer so I can feel that each primer hits the bottom with the same pressure, regardless of variance in primer depth.
We use a hand primer too. I have been using CCI primers for decades and have never had one miss-fire. If what you say is true, then the 2nd time in the gun, it should have gone off. It didn't. I think since the Chinks took over Winchester their quality has deteriorated. I also noticed that the Win primers seem to fit loose as others have noted elsewhere in this forum.

Only primer I have ever had fail in the field is cci250. Just the other day we did have an issue with wlrm primers seating too deep in ADG Sherman Short Mag brass, causing shallow primer strikes and failure to ignite. Changed to Federal and no more deep seating.

Only primer I have ever had fail in the field is cci250. Just the other day we did have an issue with wlrm primers seating too deep in ADG Sherman Short Mag brass, causing shallow primer strikes and failure to ignite. Changed to Federal and no more deep seating.
Thanks for the advice! I'll look at Federal next purchase.

I've been loading 20 years and never had one go off seating in all the thousands I've loaded. I seat using the seater on my rock- chucker.

I don't think that you stated what type of rifle you are shooting. I'm not judging your intelligence, I'm thinking that you have either a brass problem, a primer problem or combination thereof, or a rifle problem. You are going to have to measure all of the components that you are using carefully to determine what is going on with you FTIs.

A few years back I "thought" that I was having a problem with my Winchester magnum primers (hard anvils stuff like that), so I bought several other brands of primers @ 1000 piece bricks. Still had the problem then............I decided to change my striker spring from 17lbs to a 24lb spring and fixed the problem with the primers; and, I was putting what I thought was a good dent in the primers also. If you are shooting a Ruger 77, whether you have a primer/ignition problem or not I strongly recommend changing the firing pin spring; Blitzsnell makes a good product. If you are shooting an older rifle, again I strongly suggest that the firing pin spring gets replaced. The firing pin spring is a major ignition component for making the gun go bang; yet, it is oftentimes overlooked in the process. For me the piece of mind of replacing a firing pin spring @ around $10-15 each is well worth the price. My problem started with two rifles at the same time, mine and my son's rifle, both Ruger 77s. Had it just been with my rifle I would have gone for the firing pin spring right away; but, this was not the case. I'm not thinking that you have a firing pin spring problem, however when you posted this, I thought I would give you my .02 worth on dents in primers. I shoot quite a bit, however I do not think that I will ever shoot up 3000+ large rifle magnum primers.

Last edited:
I don't think that you stated what type of rifle you are shooting. I'm not judging your intelligence, I'm thinking that you have either a brass problem, a primer problem or combination thereof, or a rifle problem. You are going to have to measure all of the components that you are using carefully to determine what is going on with you FTIs.

A few years back I "thought" that I was having a problem with my Winchester magnum primers (hard anvils stuff like that), so I bought several other brands of primers @ 1000 piece bricks. Still had the problem then............I decided to change my striker spring from 17lbs to a 24lb spring and fixed the problem with the primers; and, I was putting what I thought was a good dent in the primers also. If you are shooting a Ruger 77, whether you have a primer/ignition problem or not I strongly recommend changing the firing pin spring; Blitzsnell makes a good product. If you are shooting an older rifle, again I strongly suggest that the firing pin spring gets replaced. The firing pin spring is a major ignition component for making the gun go bang; yet, it is oftentimes overlooked in the process. For me the piece of mind of replacing a firing pin spring @ around $10-15 each is well worth the price. My problem started with two rifles at the same time, mine and my son's rifle, both Ruger 77s. Had it just been with my rifle I would have gone for the firing pin spring right away; but, this was not the case. I'm not thinking that you have a firing pin spring problem, however when you posted this, I thought I would give you my .02 worth on dents in primers. I shoot quite a bit, however I do not think that I will ever shoot up 3000+ large rifle magnum primers.
Soooooo very thankful for your comments. It is an older R77 so I will look at getting a new spring ASAP. This was the best information I received on this forum to-date.

Soooooo very thankful for your comments. It is an older R77 so I will look at getting a new spring ASAP. This was the best information I received on this forum to-date.

I have a safe full of Ruger 77s, and now I have a safe full of Ruger 77s and they all have new Blitzsnell firing pin sprints. I'm having two Ruger 77s built in .270 AI, I sent new Blitzsnells to the gunsmith doing the build. The situation that I had with my Ruger was that it was happening with my son's Ruger also. It was just before we were going on our annual bear hunt so we were scrambling for ammunition. We both built the rifles in 35 Whelen, by the same gunsmith with the same reamer, and both rifles were failing to fire. What is the likelihood that both rifles are going to act up at the same time? I think that if you change your firing pin spring out you'll see a difference in ignition. Also they are not too easy to replace, I had a local gunsmith do mine. He did it by hand with a small vise, I believe there's a special tool for changing them out.

I shoot quite a bit, however I do not think that I will ever shoot up 3000+ large rifle magnum primers.
I have faith in you... it will happen. I keep at least a half dozen bricks of various lr primers around at any one time. I get a bit nervous when I get below a brick of any one type... Of course I also usually keep a few thousand rounds loaded between all the things I load for.

I ordered a new spring for the M77. It should be here in a few days. However, I loaded up 10 new rounds with CCI primers and had no issues whatsoever.
Then I got home, started running the brass through the resizer and got one stuck so bad it ruined the die. Not my day for belted magnums I guess. And not enough lube. As long as I have been reloading you would think I would know better.

I ordered a new spring for the M77. It should be here in a few days. However, I loaded up 10 new rounds with CCI primers and had no issues whatsoever.
Then I got home, started running the brass through the resizer and got one stuck so bad it ruined the die. Not my day for belted magnums I guess. And not enough lube. As long as I have been reloading you would think I would know better.

Good to read that you got the new spring ordered. From my experience you really have to work hard to ruin a sizing die. What happened, did you get a brass case stuck in the die? That's fixable. You can ruin the expander plug and the screw it attaches to, but you can purchase replacement parts for them from Brownells or a place like that. Also you can buy a stuck case removing tool

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.