Problem chambering 30-06 the bolt sticks

How do you measure your case length at the shoulder? I find it at best a challenge to measure the length of a case to the shoulder, especially to 0.001" Not joking looking for an answer.
I use a Hornady B14 Lock-N-Load Comparator. It takes inserts that allow you to measure the shoulder to the base and with a separate insert base to bullet Ogive. You need the right inserts to match your case shoulder angle and bullet diameters.

Just my opinion but throw the neck sizing die in the garbage can where it belongs, a minimal full length sizing produces the most accurate and best function ammunition. I would only set the shoulders back .002 ish though.
yup... especially for hunting loads... they've gotta go in and out without impedance every time... most of my chambers are tight enough I simply turn the die down to my shellholder… ymmv though and B&G is right on not oversizing cases... waste of case life and it could affect accuracy a bit

I haven't been able to find the answer to this question so I'm going to try here.
It was noted that the bullets were pulled and the cases full length resized. Were the live primers still installed? And if so, what did you do, just pull the deprimer pin? I have several .223 cases that I only neck sized and they won't chamber. Thanks

I haven't been able to find the answer to this question so I'm going to try here.
It was noted that the bullets were pulled and the cases full length resized. Were the live primers still installed? And if so, what did you do, just pull the deprimer pin? I have several .223 cases that I only neck sized and they won't chamber. Thanks

Redding Body Die or pull decapping pin.......... with the Redding Body Die I have bumped shoulders on loaded ammo before also. If a buddy brings me ammo that won't chamber and I determine shoulder or body is too tight, thats the answer.

I've re-run cases in many FL dies with primers in, just take out the de-capper pin. This happens a lot when developing loads. You eventually load something too hot and need to pull bullets.

I bought Lyman ammo checker - IT WORKS! IF the cartridge s drops all the way in, it chabmers. Period. IF there is even tiny part t of the base protruding, it is tight to no-go.

Thank you guys!
And because of the stuck rounds I did buy a Lyman cartridge checker. That's when I found out how many rounds I have to redo.
btw - in lieu of using a wood stick etc. to pound open the bolt on a stuck round, I have used a ratchet strap and my bench vise. Slowly but surely.
My stomach feels so much better when I don't have to hammer something :(

Thank you guys!
And because of the stuck rounds I did buy a Lyman cartridge checker. That's when I found out how many rounds I have to redo.
btw - in lieu of using a wood stick etc. to pound open the bolt on a stuck round, I have used a ratchet strap and my bench vise. Slowly but surely.
My stomach feels so much better when I don't have to hammer something :(
The hammering is always better when it happens at the target!

This happen today, I hand loaded 30 nosler, 30-06 cases ( fired 4x ) with 180gr Nosler Accubonds, - Oal to ogive 2.7020",
- all cases were previously neck sized,
- measured to shoulder 2.0455",
- trim length 2.4855"
- all primers below edge of pocket

When I chamber the round, before I close the bolt the bolt seems to have a slight 'catch' sliding the bullet into the chamber. After I close the bolt and it doesn't seem to be a hard close, I have to struggle to raise the bolt back up. The WORST part is that after I raise the bolt I cannot pull it back, acts like it's jammed / stuck and I have to fight with it to eject the unfired round. Three timed I had to bang of the upraised bolt with a wood block to get it back. Most all the cases showed a scratch on the headstamp about half way to the primer all the way around forming a circular scratch.

I did fire a couple of those sticky bolt rounds, no problem ejecting the case, bolt worked fine.

This never happened before I don't understand it ... help appreciated
you might try full length sizing as it sounds like a little case bulge !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.