Pro Bed 2000

Jud96

I ordered a 16oz kit of Pro Bed 2000 for a couple of my personal rifles I have to bed here soon. I've never used this stuff before and previously I've stuck to Devcon and have used Marine Tex as well. I am debating on returning this stuff or sitting it on the shelf and just ordering more Devcon. Initially I thought it was worth trying out, but I've been thinking more on it and wanted to ask for some opinions and expertise on this stuff.

I don't know any smiths that use Pro Bed and most of the reviews and information I've found seems to be from DIY guys and not many professionals that I've seen. At first I thought I'd give it a go, but now I'm kind of on the fence about it. Can anyone give me any details on how the shrinkage compares to Devcon and/or Marine Tex? Also, does it powder out after a couple years of use in magnums or competition rifles and need re-bedded? Most of the things I've read about it is how easy it is to work with and that it sets up well without air pockets or voids but no information on shrinkage or strength after it has cured. Thanks guys!

I used it on a Stocky's carbon stock for a skim bed a few months ago. It is a Howa Carbon Stalker in 7mm-08. It went fine for me and just as I expected based on my previous bedding jobs from decades ago with some others products. I did not notice any shrinkage however I'm not shooting that rifle right now (probably going to sell). I would definitely use it again.

Attachments

• 37233FC7-54F1-4AD4-9CE1-B68D0CED8F2B.jpeg
    37233FC7-54F1-4AD4-9CE1-B68D0CED8F2B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 154
  • 013CC18B-798E-41DD-B703-C3400B4CFFEC.jpeg
    013CC18B-798E-41DD-B703-C3400B4CFFEC.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 169
Thus far I have only used Devcon 10110 but the mixing ratio is a pain. I recently found out one of my machining mentors uses it and likes it over Devcon just because of the mixing ratio. I'm on my last Devcon can and once it's gone…I'm going to try it too.

He full time and does a bunch of rifles a year, says it's perfect.

So I bedded a rifle with Pro Bed. I followed the instructions and weighed the resin and hardener using the ratio in the instructions, 100 parts resin to 77 parts hardener. According to Charlie at Score Hi this stuff is very forgiving on the ratio. Well after about 32 hours the bedding is still able to be scratched with a fingernail. This stuff seems much softer than Devcon 10110 or it's not curing properly? The rifle is in my basement and it's about 65 degrees down there. I put a space heater on the bench to warm up the stock and even after 10 hours with the space heater the bedding still isn't any harder. Thoughts? Thank you

Been a while since I used it, but I remembered it being 1:1. Never had setup issues.
Yeah 1:1 was for volume and 100:77 was for weight which is what I did. The extra I had isn't playable but I can press the tip of a screwdriver into the surface and scratch it with my thumbnail. That just seems like it's not fully cured

At 1:1, in 24 hours it has always been hard. At 72 hours you can definitely tell it has cured even more. I would give it some time.

I took the piece that was leftover and broke it up with a hammer and it shattered and it was not pliable and didn't seem soft. I also machined the extra chunk of bedding with an endmill on the mill and it machined good and wasn't soft and didn't seem to melt or anything like that. I'm just concerned with how I can indent it with a sharp edge with less force than Devcon 10110. Maybe I'm overthinking this or the surface hardness isn't as high as Devcon. This is my first go with this stuff and I don't know what to expect.

I ordered a 16oz kit of Pro Bed 2000 for a couple of my personal rifles I have to bed here soon. I've never used this stuff before and previously I've stuck to Devcon and have used Marine Tex as well. I am debating on returning this stuff or sitting it on the shelf and just ordering more Devcon. Initially I thought it was worth trying out, but I've been thinking more on it and wanted to ask for some opinions and expertise on this stuff.

I don't know any smiths that use Pro Bed and most of the reviews and information I've found seems to be from DIY guys and not many professionals that I've seen. At first I thought I'd give it a go, but now I'm kind of on the fence about it. Can anyone give me any details on how the shrinkage compares to Devcon and/or Marine Tex? Also, does it powder out after a couple years of use in magnums or competition rifles and need re-bedded? Most of the things I've read about it is how easy it is to work with and that it sets up well without air pockets or voids but no information on shrinkage or strength after it has cured. Thanks guys!
I bought a kit and had trouble with the stuff even mixing properly and didn't use it. I just couldn't get the consistency that I wanted, it was too thick and I knew that it wouldn't compress enough into the stock to get a good bedding. I've been using Brownells Acraglas for years and never any issues. I am not a professional, however I've been bedding rifles for years using Acraglas. All of the stocks that I've bedded have been wood (at least 20+), never any issues. I presently have a rifle, that was my father's, that I did in 1994 and it is still solid as the day I did it; and…that job is on a 1970 stock.

Recent Posts