Primers, Need tight fitting brand name

victor

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a primer manufacturer that tends to have oversize primer diameters, if there is such a thing.

My problem is with my .270Wby Magnum. The only brass available for this caliber is the Norma manufactured brass (same company that makes the Wby brass). I do not load the cases too hot. My load is H1000-72.50gr, 140 Accubond. Speed is 3,290fps.

Norma is good brass, but a little on the soft side. I can get 2 or 3 reloads out of the brass before the primer pockets get so loose that I have to pitch the case. The cases are pristine in every other aspect except for the expanded primer pocket.

I currently use Federal 210M & CCI's BR2 primers with equal results (very good). But I hate tossing the perfectly good cases, just because of expanded primer pockets. It would be really nice if primers came in .001 incremental diameter variations (so we could choose our own class of fit).

Just for your knowledge base, you should know that Hornady brass is way too soft. At least for the .300Wby case. I bought a batch of 50 once to try out. Well, even mild loads that showed no pressure whatsoever with the Norma .300Wby brass, blew every primer pocket so badly that when I opened the bolt the spent primer would fall out. None of the hornady cases could ever be reloaded. It was so bad that I had to pull all the loaded rounds apart and pitch the brass. It was one of those lessons learned the hardway.

I wish Lapua would make Wby brass. Lapua brass is much harder than most, that is why you see the heating evidence near their necks. The brass is so hard that they have to anneal the necks (make the brass soft) so they conform to the chamber neck in the rifle to seal the gas pressure. I'll bet you can reload Lapua cases many times before it has to be pitched.

So, in conclusion, Does anybody out there know of primers that fit exceptionally tight?
Or another manufacturer that makes .270Wby brass?

Thanks in advance for any info,
Vic

CCI might do what you want. I keep CCIs around for .223 brass that gets a little loose in the primer pocket area. I don't know if their Large Rifle Magnum primers are a touch big too. It would be worth trying, they are a harder primer than Federals too.

Lapua 300 WM

It would be possible but not easy to make 270 Weatherby brass from Lapua's 300 WM brass. You would probably need several dies as the Weatherby is about 0.2 inch shorter in the body.

I have always thought the 270 WB is a great cartridge. But would never build one just because of the brass issue.

If you cann't find primers that will work, you may have to load lighter or ditch the gun.

Dear Steve4102,

Thank you very much for your response. You have reinforced my belief that it is very beneficial to ask stupid questions that you are sure there are no answers to.
I have never heard of such a tool before. I did a little more research, now that you have brought it to light and here is how it is used:

Very simple to use. The tool is only 3 pieces. A block, a post, and a punch. Put the post on the block. Drop the case onto the post, primer pocket up. The punch then slides into the primer pocket, and now just lightly rap the punch with a small hammer.

It seems like it should work for probably 2 or 3 more loadings. I will try to make my own unit first as an experiment. If is works I will probably invest in one as I have a big pile of brass saved up.

Thanks again,
Kind regards,
Vic

There's MY new thing for the day.... I don't know that I'd spend the money to salvage .223 brass, but for this instance, it could be very beneficial.

FYI the Nosler brass has less case capacity and therefor your mild loads were actually hot. I have to load my 300wm Nosler brass about a grain less than my Norma to get the same velocity.

How do you know you aren't too hot?....

Federal primers IME tend to be alittle larger than others, If you are having expanded primer pockets after only 2-3 firings so much so that Fed primers are loose, you need to lighten your load IMO.

I may be off, but it sounds like you are letting your velocity determine how much pressure you "think" you have? Don't just let the velocity dictate your opinion of the pressure, some rifle bbls are slower than others and will not produce the same velocity as others for a given pressure.

You may have better luck with a different powder. I've been able to duplicate Weatherby factory rounds in 270 Wea with both R22 and IMR7828 with good case life and tight pockets in Norma brass.

Good Luck

Reloader

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.