Primer seated deep enough?

• Thread starter Deleted member 107666
  • Start date
Just a question. What are you using to prime cases?

If it is the Press, these sometimes have two much power and very little feel. I like to use a bench mounted primer tool or a hand primer tool.

I find that I have a better feel and can get better consistence using the bench tool. This is just one = https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012932670?pid=457599

If you are already using something besides your press, disregard
this tip. Presses are very powerful and on something as important as priming, fineness and feel are important.

J E CUSTOM

I use the K&M gauge seater and a depth gauge I built. I can feel the primer touch with the seater. I also have a lee hand seat I can feel it touch also:)

primerseat.jpg

K&m Hand primer, no gauge. Resorted to measuring the the depths with end of calipers to try relate feel with actual seating depth set.

I hope that I never stop learning . I use an RCBS hand primer and a Redding primer pocket uniformer to get them all the same depth .

I need to get me a good hand priming tool. I have been using my forster Co-ax for last several years and I love it and seems to be very consistent. I do uniform all my pockets but I think the hand primer would speed things up a bit. I can usually get thru about two beers before I get 100 rifle cases primed that is unacceptable lol.

Well, they all went bang today during barrel break in...that's a start! Will have to wait another few weeks to find ES as I work up a load.

I have been lookin at te bald eagle bench top model , it is adjustable
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Bald-Eagle-Precision-Priming-Press/BE1151

I like the looks of this priming tool except for having to handle each primer individually. I just don,t like fumbling with them. With the magazine type, there is no chance of contaminating them by dropping or handling them. Just one of the features that I prefer.

I also looked at the tool with the primer strips that hold the primers but it was just not flexible enough for me and cost of the tool did not justify the improvements.

J E CUSTOM

Look closely at your primer pocket and you'll likely notice it isn't flat unless you cut it that way. The outside edges will be higher on the edges than near the flash hole. That is unless they are drilled and not punched. A quick touch with a uniformer will make it square and of consistent depth.
None of this will make a 1-MOA load a 1/2 MOA performer, but it does eliminate a variable. Most notably that a high primer won't screw up a shot of a lifetime. Remember to de-burr those flash holes!

I just use my Lee hand priming tool, has been working great for along time. You can feel the primer seating and can tell if you have a loose pocket. Don't even bother measuring the depth. Just seat them flush and have never had a problem. A lot of the time I see single digit ES in my loads, but that seems to change depending on what primer I use.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.