Primer issues

hittman86

Is anyone else out there having any problems with WInchester large rifle primers? I was doing some load testing and had one rupture and end my test, doesn't make sense to me load was 3 grains off max with no pressure signs.

Is anyone else out there having any problems with WInchester large rifle primers? I was doing some load testing and had one rupture and end my test, doesn't make sense to me load was 3 grains off max with no pressure signs.
Wow...never had an issue with Winchester primers. I am currently loading my 22-250 with 35grs of H3895....working flawless.

Are you sure it was primer issues or too large a primer pocket in your case? That can cause rupture also.

I guess I should clarify I am shooting 7mm mag in federal cases this was on the third reload. Positive it's not pressure related, just can't wrap my head around losing the primer pocket so soon

Have used Rem & CCI primers exclusively for years with the exception that I bought a brick of Winchester primers during the "shortage" a few years back...I can't say that they were defective or inferior except they "flattened" more than any others that I have ever used....They flattened to the point that they scared me several times with that "high pressure" look...No other signs of pressure on what should have been mild loads....backing off more stilled showed flat primers...Conclusion soft or thin cups...Maybe they were super hot but I doubt it because the chrono didn't change much with any of the three primers in a variety of loads & calibers....Resumed normal reloading with Rems and CCIs and brought the loads back up to normal velocities.....Still have a portion of that brick, when time permits I will check thickness compared to the others and run some hardness tests on the cups at our R&D lab....

My Winchesters may have been part of one bad lot but I don't plan on using any WWs primers any time soon..

My $.02,
Randy

Federal brass is usually softer than most others has been my finding. I would check the primer pocket for stretch. If your primers seat very easy is how I would describe it then they may be too large from stretch. The feel of a primer seating is a learned feel over the years that comes from loading A LOT. I have used a Lee Hand Primer for about 30 years because I can feel the primer seating operation better.

I have two WLR primers let go. Both with starting loads that I have since worked up to higher loads (under max). The first was in a Winchester coyote 308. The second was in a Tikka T3 in 243. Neither was a firing pin perforation. Both were leaking about quarter of the way around the outside of the primer. Both gas cut the bolt face to a small degree. No primer pocket stretch could be measured. The 308 case has been reloaded since several times. The 243 case was a write off. Both cases were Remington. Both primers came from the same pack. I have since ditched them and changed to Fedral. Very dissappointed as I have used Winchester primers almost exclusively for about thirty years, and many thousands of reloads. Couldn't conclude anything else other than a bad batch.........

I use the wlrm and the wlr and they've been fine to me. I also use the 210, 215, 200, 250, and rem mag primers in lr, and the only issue I've had at all is I hate the feel when the rems seat, or lack of feel to be exact. I use fed brass with wlrm and 250 primers in my 7mag and never had a blowout, but I usually use 250's because they were cheap and they will light the powder well enough to shoot pop cans and stuff at 100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.