Lyman Hand Primer Issue

Wachsmann

I just bought this from Cabela's yesterday and primed some brass. My RCBS hand primer needs a new little black plastic primer holder thing so I got something that I thought might get the job done.

My issues is it only seats the primers about lets say 8/10 of the way into the primer pocket. When you set the case down the primer is still protruding past the base of the case. I then had to go back and seat them with my RCBS hand primer. Wondering if anyone has seen this before. In the instructions it said any shell holder would work in it so I used my RCBS shell holder.

Call RCBS Customer service, explain the issue with the part that is broken, they will send you a new one for FREE, no shipping costs or anything.
RCBS have the best CS of any company I have ever dealt with.

Problem fixed.

Cheers.

I had the same issue. Fella suggested, take the rod out, and on an anvil of some type, peen it along the middle. Makes it grow longer. I had to use some heat, and still took a little work, but it does resolve the problem.

The black insert is not the cause of the problem of incomplete seating. It is the seating stem that is not long enough. Contact RCBS, they will replace it at no cost.

Reloader222
The issue is with the RCBS except need to buy a new part for it. The issue is with the Lyman primer. It wont seat primers fully into the case. It may be something wrong with the stem. I will probably just take it back and get a different brand. But thanks for your input.

Remember shell holder's height also differ. With RCBS Auto Prime it only works with RCBS shell holders. With other brands it has problem with the angle of the shell holders bottom. It might be that the Lyman Auto Prime also prefer Lyman shell holders. Just try a different brand of shell holder.

I tried a Lee and a Hornady with the same results. I'm going to take it back to Cabela's and try and trade it in on something else. It's states in the instructions that it will work with any brand of shell holder. I did measure the shell holders and tried all 3 but even with the shortest it still leaves the primer sticking out quite far.

On another note I contacted RCBS and they are shipping me the part I need free of charge. Really pleased with that.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.