Primer Interchangeability- Pistol to Rifle? And Conversely?

Muddyboots

I read a article many years ago that provided technical overview of using pistol for rifle and conversely with risks and performance. Cannot find it. Does anybody recall it and where? Had really good discussion on primer dimensions, fit, anvil thickness, strike requirements, pressure and so on. With primer availability being crazy this would be good technical support reference article that could provide alternative options or even prevent potential disasters.

Anyone recall it?

No i dont. , but i have used pistol primers instead of srp in 223 bolt guns during the obama yrs ,no issues on my watch. with pistol pri in 223 or tty in ar platforms you may see pierced primers as the pressure is different in the auto. ,but my loads have been ok with limited use in ar's
i have just completed rifle pri in my glock 9mm loads with no issues either , but the thicker cup mybe a problem for some light strikes in other handguns ?

The rule of thumb I've heard is that you can use rifle primers in pistol but not pistol in rifle, due to different operating pressure. I've also heard that rifle cups are harder (or maybe thicker) so you may not get 100% of primers going off if you use rifle primers in pistol cartridges. I've also hear there are very slight differences in primer height which could also be an issue... however PLEASE don't take this as gospel, it's just a bunch of bits of information that I've "heard" over the years.

That said, I have used small rifle primers in .38 spl loads with no I'll effects.

Also, if somebody can definitively prove any of my statements wrong, I will GLADLY remove the comments or post, as I don't want to perpetuate misinformation.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.