Primer Conversion

zackeria

While at the range today we were discussing primers. One fellow mentioned that he read a very interesting article about primers and accuracy. He said that you can take a spent large rifle primer epoxy it in the primer pocket clean up the inside of the primer with a primer pocket reamer, re-drill the flash hole and this allows you to beable to put in a small rifle primer providing for improved accuracy.

Does anyone have knowledge of this article as I would very much like to read it as the theroy does sound very interesting?

Primer conversians

Hi I have converted large to small primer pockets. To do this the primer pocket is reamed slightly deeper on all cases to a uniform depth. Then I machine inserts from Stainless Steel. They are pressed into the cases with Loctite Wick in. I use a .062" flash hole for uniform ignition. I did this to Rem 6.8 SPC cases to test the diference between the two the small primers were better however most cases with large primers require them. The 22-250 case is about the largest that benifites with small primers in some instances any larger the large primers available will be as good or better.

But using an old primer cup jammed in does not sound like the cases will be uniform I would guarrente they would shoot better before the old primers were tried that is if the correct tension is obtained with the old large primer anyway.

Cheers Bill

Hi I have converted large to small primer pockets. To do this the primer pocket is reamed slightly deeper on all cases to a uniform depth. Then I machine inserts from Stainless Steel. They are pressed into the cases with Loctite Wick in. I use a .062" flash hole for uniform ignition. I did this to Rem 6.8 SPC cases to test the diference between the two the small primers were better however most cases with large primers require them. The 22-250 case is about the largest that benifites with small primers in some instances any larger the large primers available will be as good or better.

But using an old primer cup jammed in does not sound like the cases will be uniform I would guarrente they would shoot better before the old primers were tried that is if the correct tension is obtained with the old large primer anyway.

Cheers Bill

Bill

Thank-you so much for taking the time to answer my question, it will be very helpful in the long run.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.