Price gouging on new Winchesters!!! Model 94 $999 M70 $999

Coyboy

I stopped at a Shiells sporting goods today and they have a sign by the Winchesters.

"After 140 years in buisness Winchester has closed its USA plants. Get a Winchester while you still can."

New Model 94 are priced between $799 and $999. Model 70 feather wieghts and standard classics, with wood. are priced at $999. All synthetic stocked guns haven't changed.

Anybody else seeing this going on?

Must be collectors overnight.

None of that around here, I think?

Heard from a local that the parent company of both Browning and Winchester is FN-(something) and that manufacture of win rifles is going across the pond??????

Cowboy,
Right after the announcement the M70's left the shelves. I had an eye on M70 in 325WSM. That was Saturday before the announcement. The following Saturday all of the M70's at Brass Pro Shops here near Annapolis MD were all gone, including that 325WSM I had my eye on. A quick sweep of 5 shops only neted one Winchester Hi-Wall. I expect when the economic climate is right around here, the overly expensive M70's will show up on dealers shelves.

I never bought one at the old price so they can now charge anything they want and it won't effect me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm with you on that. They haven't had anything to get all lathered up about in a while so I don't see it as any real big deal. I just hope we can still keep getting brass and shotgun ammo.

Does Hodgdon sell stock in their company? They seem to be aquiring quite a few companies lately.

I dont know 4ked,I'm sure it would be a good investment,as would Dakota Arms,theyve also been aquiring other companies (Nesika,Miller Arms and now trying to get in bed with Lapua).Business must be good as they're constructing a new building in Sturgis also.The owner of Dakota has gone on record stating that it is Dakotas goal to seek out and incorporate other high quality,desireable manufacturers.I think Charlie Kokesh,the owner of Dakota,is more business savy than the former owner,especially in marketing and public relations.I drove through St. Onge 15 yrs ago or so on a service call and stopped in Millers gun shop before they joined Dakota just out of curiousity in their guns.It wasnt what you would think of as a custom gun shop but the quality of the falling blocks Cyle and his father built are absolutely second to none.Every part on the Miller falling block was hand made.When Cyle took one of the completed rifles down off the wall and handed it to me, the second it touched my hand it was instant LOVE.You could feel the quality of this gun radiating in your hand.When I worked the action I was at a complete loss at how to convey the ultra smooth quality into words to Cyle (like he didnt already know),all I could muster was "It sure isnt a No.1,is it?" Cyle just laughed.Then came the worst part of the visit.I had to hand the gun back to Cyle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif While that was hard to do,the hospitality and time spent with someone just driving up to their shop unannounced will never be forgotten.When you meet someone like this,someone that truely enjoys building a high quality product,be it a gun or whatever,that meeting never really leaves your memory.So when I heard Miller Arms joined Dakota,I thought Oh,man...bummer! But then realized that Miller wasnt gone,it just took its talents somewhere that they would be used on a grander scale.
So when I see a Dakota Arms magazine now and look at the price of the #10 falling block (and while I still cant really afford one) I have no doubt they're worth every penny.And in the end Mr. Kokesh got what he wanted....the best of the best. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

http://www.dakotaarms.com/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi?category=Miller_Arms_Rifles

[ QUOTE ]
I stopped at a Shiells sporting goods today and they have a sign by the Winchesters.

"After 140 years in buisness Winchester has closed its USA plants. Get a Winchester while you still can."

New Model 94 are priced between $799 and $999. Model 70 feather wieghts and standard classics, with wood. are priced at $999. All synthetic stocked guns haven't changed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bunch of F$%%^*g & bloodsuckers!

Yeh , Sheels is something else . I always stop at the Cabellas and Scheels when I go cross-country for Pdogs. I stopped at a Scheels in S. Dakota and saw a Cooper 220 Swift with really exceptional wood . I had a Pre 64 Win. 220 Swift in the car ...about 98 % . When I brought it in the first thing they tried was to tell me was that my Win. was a re-blue . After mulling it over for 45 min. , the two bozos there offered me $650 on a trade-in . I quickly departed ! I sold that Win. for $1100 a few weeks later .

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The local Gander Mountain had a variety of Winchesters on clearance. About a week after news of the plant closing all of the Winchester rifles went back to the oringnal price Gander was selling them for. They did have a couple of like new wood finished 300WSM for $499. The store I frequent qiute often gets guns directly fron the firearms companys and then sells them as used. A salesman there told me this. These guns look new. I think my next rifle purchase will be another Remington 700. If I wanted a model 70, that would probably be the way I'd go...maybe I could trade off my Ruger model 77.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.