Pressure signs not showing at Max load

I find it interesting what all plays into accuracy and sometimes it's some small thing that makes a change into how one rifle preforms over another . I had a rem 700 ,22-250 that I had the action trued and the barrel set back to compensate for that and the chamber re done for the correct head space . I had to start over with load development seating depth ect . but ended up with a fine firearm in the end that would put 5 rounds in a ragged hole at 100 yards that started life with a 1 moa on a good day . There is so much for me to learn and good people here to learn from and I learn a lot by asking questions or just reading the posts . Thank You for taking the time and answering my questions .
When they set the barrel back how far does it set back from original shape? I'm thinking of getting this done rather then install a new barrel.

So today was the last efforts in trying to get these 142 grain LR Accubonds to shot out of my rifle. With no luck at all I still figured I would post my results.
Average Velocity- 2659
Highest Velocity- 2671
Lowest Velocity- 2651
SD- 7
ES- 20
40.0 grains of H4350
C.O.A.L- 2.850
In the picture you can see it was more of a pattern then a group. So as of now this rifle will go back in the safe and sit until I decide to have it rebarreled. BTW the shoot and see target is 8 inch in diameter. Distance is 200 yards.
Not sure what cal you are shooting but I live by the ABLR 168's in my 7 STW 3352 fps, 142's in my Nosler 26 3503 fps and 129's in my 6.5 Creed 2,840 fps. All have about a .020 jump and love to be loaded as hot as possible, all of them are .125 or less at 200. If I lighten the load or load them closer to the lans I get a big increase in groups

So today was the last efforts in trying to get these 142 grain LR Accubonds to shot out of my rifle. With no luck at all I still figured I would post my results.
Average Velocity- 2659
Highest Velocity- 2671
Lowest Velocity- 2651
SD- 7
ES- 20
40.0 grains of H4350
C.O.A.L- 2.850
In the picture you can see it was more of a pattern then a group. So as of now this rifle will go back in the safe and sit until I decide to have it rebarreled. BTW the shoot and see target is 8 inch in diameter. Distance is 200 yards.

With those ES and SD numbers it tells me all you need to do is seating depth adjustment.

Are you shooting free recoil?

Here's a picture of the lugs on the bolt. Not sure if there even 20% of contact?

Attachments

• 5394C176-F6CB-4DF5-831A-1B3A0C12FF55.jpeg
    5394C176-F6CB-4DF5-831A-1B3A0C12FF55.jpeg
    881.7 KB · Views: 124
With those ES and SD numbers it tells me all you need to do is seating depth adjustment.

Are you shooting free recoil?
After finding the best powder charge which was 40 grains I started moving seating depth. Total was c.o.a.l movement 2.900 to 2.800. Not sure how close to the lands I was because the throat is extremely long?

Not sure what cal you are shooting but I live by the ABLR 168's in my 7 STW 3352 fps, 142's in my Nosler 26 3503 fps and 129's in my 6.5 Creed 2,840 fps. All have about a .020 jump and love to be loaded as hot as possible, all of them are .125 or less at 200. If I lighten the load or load them closer to the lans I get a big increase in groups
6.5 creedmoor.

"I thought I was out, but it keeps pulling me back in...",
with 120 down the pipe, sounds as if the barrel hasn't normalized yet, just a thought? On my 25 Creed, with a custom, velocities didn't start to normalize, til after the 175 count range. Did a round count yesterday and it's at 325 and all's well.

when the barrel was set back it was just 1 turn . I don't know how many thousands that was but it let the barrel still have all the factory stamping on it and as Rem puts a lot of free bore in them it shortened that up as the new reamer was to spec . just not Rems long throat and I didn't have to do any change to the brass length just seating depth .

I didn't follow strict barrel break in procedures, but I do clean the barrel thoroughly after each time to the range. I believe the rifle has about 120 rounds to its credit. I did try the Barnes vortex ttsx and it shot those decent. I believe I posted a picture somewhere of a group at 200. I was hoping to shoot 140 grains bullet so I could benefit from high bc. I also inspected the bolt last night and found that one side of the lug is making more contact. When I get back home I will post a picture.

Have you tried just letting the barrel copper and powder foul to an equilibrium? Some barrels like to be dirty.

Darrell

Have you tried just letting the barrel copper and powder foul to an equilibrium? Some barrels like to be dirty.

Darrell
Most shots I took without cleaning was 30 the last time. Tried letting barrel cool down completely and shooting 3 shots. Same results.

Tortured myself to read trough all 12 pages and I think it was well worth it.
I stopped my load development quite early after finding ejector marks on my brass. Always thought it was a pressure sign even the brass has some carbon buildup at the neck.
Now start realizing it might not be so after someone explained it, looks like its the ejector that make a stamp in the brass and not the brass flowing into the injector hole.
Looks like I can push this a little more and get the pressure up so I might not get the carbon buildups anymore.
Looks like I been too conservative since I never got much past minimum load.

I'm having an issue with my Savage 110
6mm Creed. I shot 108gr ELD-M'S through it flawlessly then I let a friend shoot it and he used the same bullets but they were way over the Max. C.O.A.L.
He couldn't hit anything and when he handed it back to me it was way off with regular bullets, . I think it caused to much pressure in the throat of the barrel.
Any thoughts ?
Could it have caused any permanent damage ?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.