.204 Load/ Pressure signs?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by ovastafford, Apr 16, 2010.

1. ovastafford

ovastafford Well-Known Member

Im going to load up some berger 35gr hp in my .204 using benchmark powder, win cases, cci400 primers. Anybody got a starting load. I can guesstimate by looking at other manuals but thought Id ask first.

Also its a ruger bolt action. I was curious how to spot pressure signs on a ruger action. I usually look for the ejector mark on all my other guns. What will the ruger show. All I have been able to find is slightly flattened primers, but Iv heard thats not necessarily a good indentifier. Thanks

2. KPB71

KPB71 Well-Known Member

I have a CZ 204 and shoot the 35gr Bergers. I load them with 30.2gr BLC-2, Remington brass,CCI 450 Magnum Primers, and have loaded them at max 30.7gr and no pressure signs but 30.2gr shot the best.

3. ovastafford

Went to the range today. I couldnt use the bergers cause they were out of them at cabelas, so I used 32gr blitzkings. Went really good though. Never fired win brass, cci 400, 27.5grs benchmark. Best 5 shot group at 100 yards, .6" with 4 in the same hole measured .2". I pulled the fourth shot.

4. ovastafford

O I forgot, I never saw any signs of pressure with my hand loads but I did with the factory 40gr vmax's? Anyways, I thought it was a little odd....