Premium Production Rifles Worth It?

MoreSalsa

Hi all, first post. I grew up hunting and then shifted more to backpacking and now wanting to do both. I traditionally used a 30-06. But in part due to my work over the past few years minimizing volume and weight for backpacking, I find myself wanting to scale down my rifle to only what is needed for the job. Right now the job is deer, antelope, and reasonably-sized wild hogs. This does not need to be able to handle elk, etc. I also want to reduce accuracy-affecting recoil.

The max range that I want to shoot at is 400 yards and in, maybe 500 yards and in if I build up my proficiency over time. I know that excludes me as a "long range hunter," but I've come to this forum because I know you really have to know your gear and the components that go into it if you are going to be shooting accurately at long ranges. I on the other hand do not think I have enough knowledge to be able to discern the substance from the marketing/hype.

My question is: For these sorts of distances, do the higher-priced production rifles really offer me much beyond a normal production rifle, like a Ruger American or Savage 110? If so, what exactly do I get for the extra cash (other than reduction in weight in some cases)? The higher-priced production rifles that I am currently looking at are along the lines of the Kimber rifles, the Seekins Havak, or a Sako. Here, I'm talking about sub-$2K rifles, and I am really looking at lightweight rifles (say 6.5 pounds or less).

I know that a $3K+ custom rifle will show its worth when shooting at longer ranges, and the best tool for me would probably be a custom job with a titanium action, carbon shrouded barrel, carbon fiber stock and such. I just don't think that those extra thousands of dollars are going to give me much ROI if 400 yards is my max shooting range. So, my plan is to invest my money now and then look into a custom when I'm older and have more time to start reloading and truly learn how to use it.

Per the comment about reducing recoil, I am looking at low recoil calibers like 6.5 or maybe 6 Creedmoor. I would like to keep it a short action (Tikkas now use a one-size-fits-all action?). I started by considering .243 (with ~95 gr. factory loads, not the big 115 gr. bullets) but have decided that it would be too much of a stretch for big game at 400 yards (although I know that some don't agree). I will be using factory ammo for the time being.

Last edited:
I have plenty of Savage and Remington rifles and they do just fine with a good scope. Hand loading has given me the accuracy that I want in those rifles. I own a Seekins Havak PH2 and it is awesome. For the extra money, I got a lighter weight rifle that I absolutely love, a good trigger, a smooth action and I know everything was built to a high quality standard but it doesn't shoot much better than my Savages with handloads. The Havak is my favorite rifle but I would be just fine with the other factory offerings in my safe. If I had the money, I would buy the Havak again because I like it that much.

I would say a 6.5 manbun, a 6mm Creedmore or a .243 would be great out to 500 yards. A .308 with a break isn't a bad option either.

I run out of capability long before my cheap savages do. I would like something nicer someday but am under no illusions about more expensive guns making me a better shooter. If I honestly ever get to the place where i need to part ways with my 111 long range hunter .300 win mag because it can't keep up with me something will have gone tremendously right for me… an added plus…my rifles are hunting rifles, work tools plain and simple, and I'm not afraid to treat them as such - not that I deliberately abuse them but I'm not afraid to take them anywhere or let snow get on them or let them get scratched up in the bush. I'm afraid at this juncture in life where money most definitely is a big consideration, as with most of us I'm sure, I think I'd be afraid to take a $3000 + rifle/scope out in the field to do real work haha.

MoreSalsa,

Downsizing .....doesn't necessarily mean going down in caliber/cartridge. You can easily get a lighter hunting package without going down in performance! Your 30-06 will easily handle your desired results. If you want greater performance.....it can be easily accomplished with rifles weighing less than 9.0 pounds. memtb

Last edited:
Answering the question about what you get with the Premium rifles is an easy one.
The Kimber is hand fitted to the stock and hand bedded, this attention to detail is what you're paying for.
I have several Kimbers, ranging from the top of the line down to the Classic. I do not own a Hunter model, but do have Super America, Select grade, Talkeetna and Montana. I cannot fault any for fit and finish. I did have one with a bad chamber job, but polishing it cured it's woes.
Of the 13 I own, all are excellent shooters.
I have a few old "L" series Sako rifles and when new they were about 3 months wages for my Dad, so very expensive. They were/are one of the most accurate guns out of the box, again, you are paying for hand fitting and attention to detail.

Cheers.

Anything that shoots 1" or better will do the job. You don't need to go crazy, put that dough towards hunts. Asking this forum what you need is like asking is a charger or challenger enough car and ending up with a Lamborghini. Until you want to stretch it out, yes an affordable 1" shooting gun meets your needs.

I have plenty of Savage and Remington rifles and they do just fine with a good scope. Hand loading has given me the accuracy that I want in those rifles. I own a Seekins Havak PH2 and it is awesome. For the extra money, I got a lighter weight rifle that I absolutely love, a good trigger, a smooth action and I know everything was built to a high quality standard but it doesn't shoot much better than my Savages with handloads. The Havak is my favorite rifle but I would be just fine with the other factory offerings in my safe. If I had the money, I would buy the Havak again because I like it that much.

I would say a 6.5 manbun, a 6mm Creedmore or a .243 would be great out to 500 yards. A .308 with a break isn't a bad option either.
I built a 308win in an AR10 that shoots extremely soft. Light weight bcg, buffer and a good gas system. With m80 ammo it shoots well. M118 chamber w/cbi 22" barrel 1/11 twist (wish it was 1/10).

Welcome to the hunting world.....well welcome back. Don't limit yourself to thinking your not a long range hunter. Most hunters of deer elk bear etc. rarely if ever shoot an animal past 500 yards. Heck I would say rarely past 300!! For what your talking you could just shoot some light recoiling loads or have someone reload a light recoiling load for the 06. Deer, Antelope are pretty dang easy to kill and of those hogs are probably the hardest. You mentioned you wanted to scale down to what will do the job. A 223 will do the job just not so well but a 22-250 will knock the pee wads out of all three of those at under 500 loaded with the correct quality HUNTING bullet not a target or relabeled target bullet. I would say at least 60gr to 70gr and there are not a lot of them but a ton of varmint or re-labeled target bullets.

Out to well past 1000 yards many, many, many different "normal production rifles" work just as well or better than even many of the "custom" rifles. What do you get for the extra money buying bling bling.....just that bling bling and ego petting. The issue is then you mention you are wanting under 6.5lb rifle. Holy hello brother you are really throwing some big wants. The most expensive rifle thing I have found is what it costs to really drop gun weight and every ounce seems to cost double the one before. I just got my Savage Ultralight (totally freaking stock) except for the muzzle brake (28N I want the recoil reduction for long range +6-700yds) and she shoots 160 Accubonds at 3350fps into .5" groups at 100. It will shoot 10" 900 yard groups. Yep I dropped a whole $1450 on it and it weighs exactly 6lb 5oz. Good luck getting a custom with all those features you want built for 3K.

For me the 243 will kill everything you want at the distance you want. Main stream with lots of guns available the next is the 6.5 SIM, then the 7-08, etc. For me...7-08 would be the minimum for me if eliminating the 243. Just because it can shoot a broader range of bullets and I think is more effective on game than the 6.5 SIM or similar sized cases. Good luck to you and you will find what you want and it will work great.

MoreSalsa,

I have a Remington 700 in 260 DBM lightweight topped off with Leupold scope. I can send pictures later. I think theae are referred to as mountain rifle

Along with the rifle are 20 boxes of custom run ammo with 139 Lapua. Check out the note on the ammo as to were made for.
20211112_003024.jpg

I don't have a picture of the rifle, as I am on the road back from CO.

The $2k price can also get someone into a nice custom with a prefit barrel. An origin with a Savage style barrel, trigger, stock would be around there.

Below that, Tikka, every day of the week. The actions are excellent, they're rather light, and they shoot great. If you're looking for bolt and go, pick a caliber that won't recoil too much for you in the light gun and grab a stainless super light when they're on sale at sportsman's. Save up for some good glass and you're all set.

The whole reason of going custom or semi custom is that there isn't a factory offering that fits your desires. Maybe it's a new cartridge, or a specific reamer you want. Maybe you just prefer a fancy stock and match grade trigger. But if you're not after those things, I wouldn't pay extra for them.

Answering the question about what you get with the Premium rifles is an easy one.
The Kimber is hand fitted to the stock and hand bedded, this attention to detail is what you're paying for.
I have several Kimbers, ranging from the top of the line down to the Classic. I do not own a Hunter model, but do have Super America, Select grade, Talkeetna and Montana. I cannot fault any for fit and finish. I did have one with a bad chamber job, but polishing it cured it's woes.
Of the 13 I own, all are excellent shooters.
I have a few old "L" series Sako rifles and when new they were about 3 months wages for my Dad, so very expensive. They were/are one of the most accurate guns out of the box, again, you are paying for hand fitting and attention to detail.

Cheers.
Thanks, helpful. The next question is what all of that would give me in real-world function for those game at those ranges? At this point I'd add ... compared to a Ruger American, which is probably the main competitor since it's over $500 cheaper than the Kimber I'd get (the Hunter) but only weighs 10 oz. more.

Most other rifles are either heavy enough that the Kimber's lighter weight alone would justify the extra money for me or are light but close enough in price (like the Savage Lightweight Storm 110) that I'd probably just shell out a bit more for the Kimber.

Anything that shoots 1" or better will do the job. You don't need to go crazy, put that dough towards hunts. Asking this forum what you need is like asking is a charger or challenger enough car and ending up with a Lamborghini. Until you want to stretch it out, yes an affordable 1" shooting gun meets your needs.
I hear you. My starting point was my super long range shooter friend who was pointing me towards a $7K custom rifle. I really do appreciate the craftmanship of the rifle and the skill to be able to use it to shoot things at 1700 yards, but I don't want a Lamborghini for driving to and from Walmart. And that money could go towards a mountain muley hunt or something, which is more what I want to put my energy towards at this point in my life than the sort of long range shooting that requires that sort of instrument.