Precision Scope Mounting For The Working Rifle

After reading this article , I presume that this epoxy bedding would prevent my scope from moving slightly forward from recoil of a .340 Weatherby Magnum .
My rifle would shoot the first 2 shots into same hole at 200 yards and then the group would begin opening up more on each following shot . I was baffled , checking base first , then rings for proper torque , mounting another scope , re-zeroing , and then getting the exact same results . I checked stock bedding , barrel free-float clearance , and weighing all reloading components exactly . Still the same results .
Then I got the idea of checking for scope slippage in the rings . Using a pencil , I marked the scope tube at front and rear of each ring to check for movement . After firing 6 - 8 shots , and watching the shot grouping open , I looked at my marks on the scope tube and found that the scope had moved .050" or slightly more forward from it's original location .
Weatherby Mark V action , Near Mfg. one piece 25 MOA rail , Leupold Mark IV rings , and Leupold Mark IV 4.5 - 14 x 40 LRT , 30mm tube scope with weight at 19 oz. , if I am correct in remembering Leupold specs . Douglas Premium XX barrel with Holland muzzle brake . Overall weight of rifle/scope combo is 10 pounds . 250 gr. bullet @ 3020 FPS ( Magnetospeed ).
Would this slight amount of movement change the point of impact noticeably ?

Get a different set of rings. Scope should not move in a properly mounted set of lapped rings no matter how much recoil a gun has.

Bedding the rail or bases to the receiver makes sense to me. I disagree with the idea of epoxy bedding a set of rings. If a ring is properly made and properly fitted epoxy will not improve the scope to ring fit. Make sure you use an alignment tool to ensure the rings are perfectly in line and no bending action is imparted on the scope tube then lapp the rings for a perfect fit to the scope. I have had great results using Leupold and other rings lapped in place but if you want the ultimate in precision made try buying better quality rings like Near.

http://www.nearmfg.com/

iu

Last edited:
Please understand I am not a gunsmith and this is just my opinion. If you place something between the rings you run a very good chance of putting more pressure on the body tube and causing potential damage. I would contact the ring manufacturer and the optic company to get their advice before trying this. Again, I mean no disrespect to the author or his opinion.

Please understand I am not a gunsmith and this is just my opinion. If you place something between the rings you run a very good chance of putting more pressure on the body tube and causing potential damage. I would contact the ring manufacturer and the optic company to get their advice before trying this. Again, I mean no disrespect to the author or his opinion.

I hear what you are saying! But think on it like this. The rings now fit the scope 100% And there was no stress put on any part at any time to get it there. This will in turn put less stress on the optics tube. Why? because the ring now fits the scope tube 100% Every time without fail.

As the author said. Set the scope in place just as it will be when mounted. The scope tubs are also machined just like the rings. Even lapping rings you are not making the scope tube itself any more true. The method of bedding the scope to the ring takes any variance out of the matting surface.

Just did this on 2 rifles. The first one just as called for in the article, but the second one there was a very minor misalignment front to rear, talley one piece rings. Just lapping them could have allowed the scope to properly align, but to make up for the excessive material removed required the bedding compound (jb weld). I ended up applying to both halves of the rings, and achieved a perfect fit. I see no problem with this method, it results in the rings being a perfect fit to the tube that was used to bed them. And I would argue that it does not increase pressure, in fact the opposite would hold true as the pressure would be distributed evenly over the entire surface, eliminating any pressure points. Is it something everybody should be made to do? No, folks have been getting by just fine for decades without, but I like to eliminate any room for potential error I possibly can.

>>epoxy gasket is a perfect fit and an anti-slip coating<<

Great article. Inspired many thoughts. Curious, are you removing the release agent? Is there a separate anti-slip coating, or is that the epoxy gasket you are referring to? Are you also applying epoxy to the upper rings? Thanks for your efforts to transfer your knowledge.

>>epoxy gasket is a perfect fit and an anti-slip coating<<

Great article. Inspired many thoughts. Curious, are you removing the release agent? Is there a separate anti-slip coating, or is that the epoxy gasket you are referring to? Are you also applying epoxy to the upper rings? Thanks for your efforts to transfer your knowledge.
Yes after you bed the scope clean off the release agent and trim away the excess dried epoxy and mount the scope as normal. i do not bed the upper halves of the rings as they are not fixed, they will flex to conform since they are typically much thinner than the bottom half of the rings.

Dean, Lapping the rings will not give you 100% contact in many instances for 2 reasons. One it is sometimes physically impossible to remove enough material when steel rings are severely misaligned. and TWO the bigger reason is, your lapping bar wears as you lap. so unless you throw away your lapping bar after every 3-4 jobs it is dimensionally no longer cylindrical and the proper diameter. The easiest way to secure a perfect fit is bedding the scope to rings, it is less than a 5 minute job.

Get a different set of rings. Scope should not move in a properly mounted set of lapped rings no matter how much recoil a gun has.

Bedding the rail or bases to the receiver makes sense to me. I disagree with the idea of epoxy bedding a set of rings. If a ring is properly made and properly fitted epoxy will not improve the scope to ring fit. Make sure you use an alignment tool to ensure the rings are perfectly in line and no bending action is imparted on the scope tube then lapp the rings for a perfect fit to the scope. I have had great results using Leupold and other rings lapped in place but if you want the ultimate in precision made try buying better quality rings like Near.

http://www.nearmfg.com/

iu

One question - I personally would prefer to use an epoxy with slightly longer curing time so as to not feel rushed. Any other good options to use in that case and would that change the recommendation on release agent?

One question - I personally would prefer to use an epoxy with slightly longer curing time so as to not feel rushed. Any other good options to use in that case and would that change the recommendation on release agent?
you can use a longer cure epoxy and let it sit overnight before the clean up. The release agent will still work fine.

You attach the scope ring bottoms to the rail and torque to spec, then dry fit the scope into the rings. If the scope falls in place with no binding and slides back and forth in the rings with light pressure you have enough clearance. If the scope binds or sticks to the rings then I would Lap some clearance into the ring bottoms before bedding.
Jim what type of epoxy would you recommend?

I used marine-tex rapid set just the other day. It worked just fine. However, trying to align the scope with the new "gasket" was bothersome. The epoxy will keep it slipping for sure.

Thank you Jim for the most interesting and educational article I have ever read on scope mounting. I recently purchased a Wheeler mounting kit with the fat wrench and lapping tools, but all of my scopes will come off in the future and I will try your bedding method.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.