Precision Reloading

Elite Muzzleloader

When it comes to reloading for best accuracy when your setting up for bench rest shooting what's is your procedure?

What type of brass?
What primers?
What bullets?
What powder?
What scales?
Dies?

If you had to rate brass how would you rate it as far as best to worse?

Right now I'm just starting as trying to use what I have. I have mixed brass Winchester Federal and something else don't remember. Around 400 brass though.

I am using a Hornady digital reloading die but it's been compared to a RCBS Balance Beam.

I'm working with a 243 Remington SPS Varmint 26" Heavy Barrel.

Just looking for suggestions, just getting started on reloading for F Class Shooting.

It sounds like you're not so much interested in true bench rest shooting but rather long range shooting such as F class? If that's the case then I think you can relax a little bit.

The key is using consistent components. You might be able to start out with the brass you have available if it is once fired through the rifle you are going to use. If you have a new custom rifle that you're going to use then I would buy new brass to start out with. If Lapua offers brass for the .243 then get some of that.

The other key element is bullets. Buy the best bullets you can. Bullets such as Berger, Sierra Match King, and others will shoot better than the less expensive bullets.

Primers can sometimes make a difference but a couple of the better liked ones are CCI and Federal.

Powder - you'll have to try some of the favorites people like to use. You're rifle will like a particular recipe the best but start with choices other people have had good luck with.

I've had nothing but trouble with digital scales, I use an RCBS beam scale exclusively . Buy the best brass and bullets you can afford , then experiment with powders, primers and seating depth until you find the right combination. I only change one variable at a time , that way I can keep track of the results either positive or negative. Take detailed notes and keep track of all your results. If you don't have a chronograph, get one.

I concur with the previous post and here are some of my thoughts. I have recently been loading for my pre 64 M70 243 varmint model and I am experimenting with 55 and 75 gr bullets that are suitable for my intended use of the rifle. The key to precision reloading and accuracy is consistency, consistency, consistency! Use quality brass of the same head stamp. I prefer Norma or Nosler. Buy Lapua if you can afford it. I can buy the Norma and Nosler at deep discounts, so thus my liking. If you are to go full out, you need to weigh each component for . . . again, consistency. The electronic scales are a little quicker, but I prefer a balance scale for powder charges. You will need to try some varying published loads to see what you rifle likes. With the longer barrel on your rifle, possibly some slower burning powders might be favorable. I use Redding F/L dies and when I switched to a Forster Co-Ax press my cartridges were much more precise, than using an older Forster "O" press. You will likely be in for a fair amount of experimentation with different loads, but that is part of the enjoyment.

This is so hard. So many different opinions and most.of them work great for the guy sugesting it.

Here is my opinion.

When it comes to reloading for best accuracy when your setting up for bench rest shooting what's is your procedure?
I decap, tumble, size, tumble, clean flasholes and.primer pockets, measure for trim, debur, prime, charge and seat bullets.
After 3 firings i anneal and clean in my ultrasonic to get the buildup out of the.interior of.the case. Must lubricate necks before bullet seating on new brass and ultrasonic/wet tumbled brass.

What type of brass?
Lapua

What primers?
CCI BR

What bullets?
Berger, Lapua, MK

What powder?
Depends.

What scales?
Gempro250, Chargemaster. Whatever you use i like two. One to trickle on and one to check the final charge. When they agree i am good

Dies?
Well I have quite a collection. Tried just about every reloading tecnique. If i were to reccomend dies it.would be.forster benchrest full length sizing die and their micro seater.

I could go on for.days

What type of brass?
What primers?
What bullets?
What powder?
What scales?
Dies?

If you had to rate brass how would you rate it as far as best to worse?

Right now I'm just starting as trying to use what I have. I have mixed brass Winchester Federal and something else don't remember. Around 400 brass though.

I am using a Hornady digital reloading die but it's been compared to a RCBS Balance Beam.

I'm working with a 243 Remington SPS Varmint 26" Heavy Barrel.
I have the same rifle in the same caliber.

Having mixed brass from mixed lots is likely not going to get you where you want to go. As noted, I would find the best price possible on Lapua brass and sell most of what you have. If anything, keep all of one headstamp that weigh approximately the same. Consistency is the key, and since Lapua makes 243 brass there is nowhere else to look. In addition, it's not as expensive as you think, especially when you consider the time it takes to prep brass from most other companies.

Primers - CCI or Federal match

Bullets - whatever shoots best in your rifle. It might be a Berger, a Hornady, or a Nosler.

Powder - same as bullets. Check the "most accurate" powder listed on the Nosler load site.

Scales - I very much like my Chargemaster 1500, but have a Gempro as well to verify weights.

Dies - look at a Redding body die to bump the shoulder back, and think about a Lee colett die then to neck size (no I'm not kidding). This combination can make some of the most accurate ammo for a great price. I prefer to spend $ on a competition seater die so that every load has the same base-to-ogive length. In addition, use a tool like the Hornady bullet comparator kit to measure each round when loaded.

Last, get the Defensive Edge long range reloading DVD:
Defensive Edge - LRH Reloading DVD

Thanks guys, I will use this info to get me started. Sounds like we have a match coming up March 25th so I need to get out as start figuring stuff out. Might just go and watch first to learn.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts