Precision reloading

Jerry Cunningham

Happy Holiday!

I would like to ask this group to name the best two books on precision reloading that they could suggest. I am particularly interested in any help to reduce standard deviation. Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry C

Happy Holiday!

I would like to ask this group to name the best two books on precision reloading that they could suggest. I am particularly interested in any help to reduce standard deviation. Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry C

Fred Sinclair's book on precision reloading is a must have. The other would either be Ackley's two volume set or Stewart Otteson's book on the bolt action rifle.
gary

Precision Shooting Reloading Guide: Dave Brennan: 9781931220125: Amazon.com: Books and Fred Sinclair's book.

A book can help get you oriented but precision reloading is a learned thing, done through experimentation with your own tools and rifle. No one can tell us how to 'turn this to there' in 78 precise steps and you'll walk out with perfect ammo that will shoot in the ones.

somewhere around the house is a large grey envelope with a copy of Fred's book. He sent it to me about three months before it was published. That book alone probably saved me $300 in long distance phone calls alone! Dave Brennan's book is another good one as well.

gary

For the advanced reloader, Glen Zeidkers book "Handloading for Competition" is far and away the very best. I have read it 3 times, and still go back to it for reference. One chapter talks about reducing SD and ES.

For the advanced reloader, Glen Zeidkers book "Handloading for Competition" is far and away the very best. I have read it 3 times, and still go back to it for reference. One chapter talks about reducing SD and ES.

I've heard of that book, but have never seen a copy for sale. I guess maybe I need to add that one to my library.
gary

Fred Sinclair's book is on Amazon. And is a good read.
Also, the Berger Reloading manual 1st edition has a great section on using and analyzing SD. The section is written by none other than Bryan Litz. If you are loading Bergers,myou probably want this manual anyway.

Glen Zeidker's book "Handloading for Competition" has a few tips worth knowing but I think they're in the other two as well and much easier to find; everybody to his own but I wish I hadn't paid for that one... Glen is a college professor and while I'm sure he's a very nice guy he sure loves the sound of his own voice - there's a LOT of verbal chaft to sift through to get to the few bits of wheat. IMHO.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.