Pre-fit Barrel's

Kmccord

I am wanting to know what people's experience with Pre-fit Barrel's? I am looking to start purchasing Custom actions, Kelby, Stiller, etc. and build my own rifles instead of buying factory rifles. I have looked at preferred barrel blanks and others, just curious if others have went this route and what experience they have had.

Bighorn TL3 SA + PVA/Rock Creek barrel (6BR)= fit like a glove. I got a barrel vise from Brownells with the switchable aluminum blocks and use a torque wrench set at 65ftlbs. After thoroughly cleaning both inside and outside threads, I put on a very small dab of anti-seize, snug things together, back them off, snug together again to 20-30 ftlbs, back off and ensure no anti-seize is on the shoulder and then do the final tighten. I also use go/no-go gauges for peace of mind. I have another barrel coming from Preferred Barrel (6.5PRC) soon and I hope it fits as smoothly and as the Rock Creek. On a good day, my Rock Creek is about 0.25" 3 shot group at 100 yds. On a bad day, it stretches out to just over a 1/2 ". Being left handed was a big factor in finally deciding to go the custom route as I got tired of having a choice of maybe one or two lefty bolt guns available at my LGS.

Big Horn TL3 and Origin both with Proof research pre-fits. Easy install, cheaper to no gunsmith fees, head spaced properly (did check), shoot amazing, and you can take them off and resell them without issue. So far I wouldn't change anything and will continue to buy pre-fits.

I've done two on tikka actions both are proof research sendero's, one is a 6.5 prc and a 6 creedmoor. Both shoot under half Moa. They aren't my most accurate rifles but easy and fun to do at home. I want to continue to try more off of custom actions.

Bighorn TL3 SA + PVA/Rock Creek barrel (6BR)= fit like a glove. I got a barrel vise from Brownells with the switchable aluminum blocks and use a torque wrench set at 65ftlbs. After thoroughly cleaning both inside and outside threads, I put on a very small dab of anti-seize, snug things together, back them off, snug together again to 20-30 ftlbs, back off and ensure no anti-seize is on the shoulder and then do the final tighten. I also use go/no-go gauges for peace of mind. I have another barrel coming from Preferred Barrel (6.5PRC) soon and I hope it fits as smoothly and as the Rock Creek. On a good day, my Rock Creek is about 0.25" 3 shot group at 100 yds. On a bad day, it stretches out to just over a 1/2 ". Being left handed was a big factor in finally deciding to go the custom route as I got tired of having a choice of maybe one or two lefty bolt guns available at my LGS.
I am a lefty as well, so I definitely know what you mean.