Pre 64 Win M70

c_bass16

What is the MAX OAL that one could expect to work with on this action? I have not decided if I want to go with a box feed in a chassis, or mag feed in a custom stock.
The caliber is still a little up in the are.

Since it's a magnum bolt face...I'd like to take advantage of whatever I have available, but I do plan to shoot 180+ bullets (7mm) as fast as I can accurately accomplish.
This will be a hunting rifle that sees in the neighborhood of 100-200 rounds tops per year.

I had previously planned a 7mmSAUM build, until I found this action, and now I'm wondering if the full balls magnum, Ultra Mag, STW or whatnot would be a better option.

It really comes down to the OAL that the action can actually feed.

info?? (I haven't taken possession of the action yet)

Yeah, that doesn't really help me. I know how to research calibers and pros/cons of each. What I haven't found, is the max OAL that this action will accept reliably. Once I know this...I will be able to decide if a seated bullet will of a certain length, combined with a case of a certain length will even be worth considering.

I want to know about the action, caliber can wait.

According to Frank de Haas' book, the recievers were all the same length.

But, magazines for the magnums would accept 3.60" cartridges; the 30-06 sized cartridges came with a 3.385" magazine; and the mag well for smaller cartridges was blocked in at the rear with shorter followers.

-- richard

I am not sure of the exact max OAL but if your rifle is the Pre-64 action that the 300 H&H was available, mine will accept an OAL of 3.6" with some room to spare feeding from the mag, maybe .050" or so. The STW should have enough room.

Not to steal this thread, but I am beginning almost the exact same project with a model 70 Extreme SS action.

I already own the same rifle in .338 WM, and was considering rebarreling to 7mm STW, as the least expensive path to a long range deer / elk rig.

I was also considering leaving the .338 alone, and pickup up a sacrificial lamb.

So, are the 30-06 / 270 class actions the same lenght as the 7mag/338s?? And for the .338 to 7mm STW conversion, what changes (if any) would be needed to the magazine to optimize the rifle for 160 - 170 gr bullets?

If you are building a custom off of a Pre 64, you can use the Sunny Hill bottom metal, the only thing you retain is the spring and follower.

I am not sure of the exact max OAL but if your rifle is the Pre-64 action that the 300 H&H was available, mine will accept an OAL of 3.6" with some room to spare feeding from the mag, maybe .050" or so. The STW should have enough room.

My calipers got broke a while back, but this number sounds right. My 300 H&H is now a 338 RUM, my partners Pre-64 is chambered for the Edge, and no difficulties noted. We don't run the 300 grain bullets so I can't speak to that.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.