M70 pre 64 action

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Jon2, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Jon2

Jon2 Well-Known Member

Just interested to hear anyones experiences of rebarrelling a M70 pre 64 action. I believe the chamber has to be recessed to accommodate the extractor claw. Is this a difficult operation or fairly straight forward?

Just wondered if this presents any particular problems.

Any comments very much appreciated.

2. DONTSTROKEME

DONTSTROKEME Well-Known Member

Are you changing calibers?

I was warned about feeding issues, but more info would help: what caliber you have, what caliber to go to, all the spefics.

My FFL dealer took a Pre-64 243 Win action and made a great pack rifle. His smith did a good job of chanbering it but he does share a building with the smith.

A good smith is what counts in my opinion, there are lots of them on here that will do the work for you. Or point you to a smith close to you.

Joe Oakes

3. Jon2

Jon2 Well-Known Member

DSM

The rifle is in 270 WSM and will be rebarrelled in the same calibre. Funny you should mention feeding issues. The rifle feeds flawlessly if I don't fill the mag to full capacity ie 2 rounds in the mag. With 3 it doesn't feed reliably. Is this inherent of the pre 64 action then? Interestly I was with the gunsmith who is doing the work on this rifle a few weeks ago and he was developing a load for a customer who had a Coyote in 7 WSM. He had 3 rounds in the mag and it fed 100% reliably. Notably the action was a post 64.

By the way I am resident in the UK.

4. DONTSTROKEME

DONTSTROKEME Well-Known Member

The 270 WSM is a tough to feed cartridge, my Rem 700 fed like crap untill I smoothed the feed rails. I am putting in a Wyatts center feed mag box in mine to help with feeding. As far as having the extractor cut I think that it will have to be done, but I am not a smith so hopefully someone here will chime in.

Joe Oakes