Prairie-dog sucker-upper

LRHWAL

I'm assuming you guys know about this. I saw this on Discovery Channel. I thought it was really funny so did a search.

Now I'm not wanting to put this here for any type of don't shoot 'em value, I just thought it was ridiculous and really funny to see. As a South African I know nothing aobut prarie dogs other than from reading US magazines, videos and the net. It's quite something to see the guys come flying through a pipe, smashing into a padded pillow type area and then being picked up and popped in containers for "relocation".

At least you now know next they argue that towns are disappearing you can bring 'em back from elsewhere! Also, do the math - 8 hr day = $ 1000 for maybe 1500-2000 dogs. Maybe quicker than a 22-250, but not necessarily cheaper!

PRAIRIE-DOG SUCKER-UPPER
MAKING A "CLEAN SWEEP"
Like something out of a science fiction movie, the newest prairie
dog control tool, a huge contraption called the "Dog Gone"
"sucks 'emupandhauls 'emaway"accordingtoanarticleinaJuly
issue of the Denver Post. Deemed safer, faster and cheaper than
usual control methods by its inventor Gay Balfour, the "Dog
Gone" resembles a massive vacuum cleaner. The rodents are
literally sucked from their burroughs into a roaring 300-mph wind
tunnel and find themselves deposited inside a truck with hundreds
of their equally confused colleagues. This prairie dog's "nightmare
from hell" has also been a hit with animal rights activists. "I'm all
for it. It sounds like a really humane way to remove them," said
outspoken Denver animal activist Robin Duxbury. According to
the article, the idea for the "sucker-upper" came to Balfour in a
dream. Balfour owns the Modern Welding and Machine Shop in
Cortez, Colorado and he constructed the giant vacuumn machine
himself. Cost of renting the machine is $125 per hour. The
operators claim it clears about 20 acres a day, or 800 holes, each
of which may contain two or three or more prairie dogs.

I'll shoot them for half that price or find out where they're letting the little suckers loose at.:D:D:D:D

Believe me , this Sucker ain't no Joke ! About four years ago , I was not allowed to hunt Pdogs on one of my favorite Ranches in S. Dakota because one of these Units was collecting Pdogs for many weeks . I did not get to see it , but I saw pictures of it . The devastation was unbelievable .....as bad as a professional Poisoning job . I have seen poisoned Dog towns pop back in two or three years , but two years after the Sucker , this huge Town is still not worth hunting . Thousands of Dogs were removed . I often wondered where these Dogs ended up . Some went back east where they were sold for Pets at about $200 a head . As Rush says : "follow the money " .......Let's see .......1000 Pdogs = $200,000 ......WOW ! This was soon stopped by Law when someone pointed out that Fleas on the Pdogs might have Sylvatic Plague . Some Pdogs were exported to Japan where they were Sold for $350-$400 ! There's GOLD in them thar Pdogs !!!

My friend had them sucked off his place before they built houses. He told me that the relocation was all BS because the relocated PDogs were viewed as intruders at the new town and were always killed. I personally have no idea but this was near Denver and I could see them requiring relocation even though a good dose of lead would be much more humane.

"though a good dose of lead would be much more humane" - not to mention the 300 mph wind referred to; they must be deaf and totally messed up.

I don't think it's humane at all, just a bunch of BS. Basically where I was headed.

Don't know about the 300 mph Wind , but the Report and Pictures I saw showed a totally padded interior , and none of the Pdogs inside showed any ill effects according to the author and the photos . I do know this Device ruined one of my best Fields . Oh well , maybe in another year or two !

Well the sucker has got to be better than the oats the local land owners Assoc is dumping down thier throats :mad: Funny thing is they are paying somware around $8/acer to poison them when the plague would have taken care of most of them by this time next year:(.
One things for sure if you dont get them all you will have dogs again in a couple of years but if the system gets wiped out they are GONE!! At least untill they can work there way back into the area from another system.
Lotta BS going around about prairie dogs but one thing is for sure aint nobody helping the population!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.