practical SCOPE ???

illfixit

Hi all, just finished my introduction to this site in the introduction section so I'll start right in. Like many others I'm slamming my head on the wall deciding what scope to mount to my Parker Hale 300 Weatherby Mag. Just had it restored and its beautiful !!!

I first was set in the Eliminator III but hated the idea of a computer on such a classic rifle, then reading posts here confirmed I don't want that. My second option was the Ziess Conquest series but don't love the reticle layout. I then after searching and searching I am leaning towards the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm, but am concerned about it handling a 300 mag. Another option was a Vintage Tasco from Japan, the Tasco TR 6-24X40, but once again am afraid of disappointment. I have a list of features I'm wanting in my scope and I don't want to spend much over 1000 dollars for a 500 dollar gun, even though its a priceless gun now. A previous "Gunsmith" put a Mark8 7.5x on it and that is for sale !!
Features in order of importance;
Cost
Appearance
First Focal Plane
Reticle layout I "like like."
20x + magnification
Objective 50mm
Glass quality
Zero stop

With all this said, is there a Vintage scope out there to look for or will the Vortex Viper work the best for me, Love the price, Love the reticle !!!!

Attachments

• reticle I LIKE LIKE.jpg
    reticle I LIKE LIKE.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3677[1].jpg
    IMG_3677[1].jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 70
I'll, your suspicions of the Tasco are real, they aren't even close to the Vortex. Your apparent choice of the Viper should get you there. This is only my opinion, I'm sure you'll have others. Good luck

I'll, your suspicions of the Tasco are real, they aren't even close to the Vortex. Your apparent choice of the Viper should get you there. This is only my opinion, I'm sure you'll have others. Good luck

Thanks Dosh, I can't find a better match for all my interests but I'm a novice. Where in Arizona? I used to live in Catalina, Az. !!

The Vortex won't have an issue with a 300, I've put a lot of them on way harsher guns than a 300 and I have yet to see one returned for work.

What is your budget?
20x, whats your effective range?

Take a look at sightron's reticle.
Vx6's seem to be compact enough, plus the Tmoa
SWFA ss
Maybe Vortex LH

In todays day and age if a scope goes south on a 300 the company is gonna have a lot of issues. I would 100% not worry about the Vortex surviving.

Well thanks all. This really helped me out and after seeing the posts and talking to my local dealer I'm down to the Tango 4 or the Viper and I think I'm getting the Viper.
Thanks for all your help.

I had a Tasco....used it for a wheel chock on my motorhome!....:D

I had a Tasco....used it for a wheel chock on my motorhome!....:D

Sully, there are a few more which fit your unique and twisted use, but I try not to flame anyone. There's got to be someone who likes Tasco or perhaps presently their only affordable option. I do have a severe hatred for the totally unusable ***'s with no name or place of manufacture that are on top of some "scope/rifle packages, and I like the creative application you've come up with for something many would throw away. Also glad the OP has made a nice choice he should be happy with.

You might want to check out the Burris Veracity. They are a lot of scope for the money. Compared to my Vipers (3 of them) the Veracity is noticeably clearer. Plus I like the Veracity's turrets and zero stop better.

Sully, there are a few more which fit your unique and twisted use, but I try not to flame anyone. There's got to be someone who likes Tasco or perhaps presently their only affordable option. I do have a severe hatred for the totally unusable ***'s with no name or place of manufacture that are on top of some "scope/rifle packages, and I like the creative application you've come up with for something many would throw away. Also glad the OP has made a nice choice he should be happy with.

I have a Tasco Target / Armament model that tracks better than some costing ten times as much. During the day the scope is certainly okay. I had way more problems with Burris than I have with Tasco. Of the half dozen I have used over the years none have failed. I started buying more expensive optics when I discovered low light performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.