opinions/practical experience

tropicmaster

I posted this over on the savage forum but I am looking for as many opinions as I can get befor spending a bunch of bucks. I am building a LR savage rifle. Actually I will probably buy one from one of the forum members, and go from there. I have abut $500 to spend on a scope and have located these three-

Bushnell Elite 4200 6x24- $629
SWFA SS 20 x 42 fixed- $280
Vortex Viper 6.5 x 20- $450 after rebate

I have read a lot of good reviews of the SWFA SS, but am also a firm believer in " you get what you pay for "
Something I dont understand is that the fixed prices are in general a lot higher than the variables?
I am a little leery of the SS fixed 20 because I will be doing some hog hunting that could be as close as 100 yds or even less.
The Bushnell is a bit out of budget, but I would go there if there is a big upgrade from the others.
They all seem to have enough MOA adjustment to get me to 1k once I start shooting that distance.

Don't know exactly which 4200 6x24 you're looking at, but you might want to check here. theopticzone.com/ - Bushnell Quite a bit cheaper that $629.

I don't have any experiance with the Vortex, but have read some positive reviews on them. Of the other two I'd take the Bushnell, I'm just not a fan of the fixed powers, especially at 20x.

Chris

Good call Chris! The one I am looking at is $80 cheaper on that site! Thats why I posted this here as well as on savage- the more the better. Thanks!

It's usually pretty tough to beat their prices. Another one you might want to consider is the Clearidge Ultra XP5(same site), a little more than you wanted to spend, but at about $590 to your door it's worth a look. I really like mine.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.