Powders for 338 edge

mitchell

Hello gentlemen

I've had a 338 edge built for a few months now and have yet to fire a shot. I have been searching for h1000 and retumbo everywhere with no luck. But I do have a few slow burning powders on my bench and I was hoping for a start loads or pointers as to what one to use. The powders I have that may work are 50bmg, N165 and RL22 . I know none of them are really ideal but having a rifle this long without shooting it is a violation of man law.

Rifle : savage with 30 inch McGowen barrel

Load: Berger 300gr VLD, Rem brass, FED 215 primers

Thanks

Brunoshooters shows h1000 in stock in 1lb canisters. There have been a lot of complaints on here about their shipping times and communication, but they say on the main page of their website they are 3800 orders behind in processing. I ordered some 300 gr OTM's, and had them in about two weeks--considering how far behind they are, I thought that was great! Anyway, Shawn Carlock has apparently been experimenting with VV N570.....
http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...tup-w-supressor-114715/index5.html#post809588
You might see if you can get your hands on some of that.
With that long of a barrel, I can't see where you would have a problem with using the 50bmg powder.
Good luck!

Start with about 98grns of H50bmg, if you can find it, I would look for RE25 or 33, Ramshot Magnum, Magpro, VV N570, WW780supreme. Imr5010, H50bmg, and US869 are a tid bit slow and you will likely be running highly compressed charges. Sometimes sites like Wiedners has a bulk military powder listed as WC857, its a ball version of H1000 and is usually about 75 bucks for an 8# jug.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.