Powder Suggestions and Misc Questions

first the military uses reloader 15 in the 308-223 in their sniper rounds and I use it in the 35 whelen which in volume/cal compared to 7/08 is very close. Here is the real advise. look in different loading data the dey is simple the highest velocity -- with the lowest pressure in cup or psI.. that is the key to accuracy.
I do agree with Varget- but it may have higher pressure. reloading is a science not a hit and miss.
thus never buy a 8 lb can to you find out what your rifle likes.. Again the velocity /pressure system will yeild you the best of the best.

LVJ76

Happy Father's Day!!!

Unfortunately I do not have anyone that I know that reloads.

My original plan was to load 120 gr Ballistic Tips with Varget in the 7mm-08's and 168 gr Berger Classic Hunter's in my LTR with Varget and all with BR2 primers. Varget is just really hard to find as you probably know.

What are your thoughts on brass brand. I was planning to buy Lapua. I purchased Starline for our 223 Rem and although they shot well, I wasn't impressed with the variation in overall length, which was even more difficult with loading 40gr bullets. I mean a lot of them were .015 short of trim too length.

Have a great day all!
Steve
I have had great success with both varget and big game the 120 Ttsx loves the big game shoots bug holes

I've been running Vv N550 in a 10 twist .308 and a 8 twist in a 260 Remington ( both M700BDL heavy barrel). The 260 did wonderful EXCEPT at 20 thou off the lands it doesn't fit the mag well. The .308 did well also but at 40 thou off the lands. Someone told me the Vv brand are barrel burners...don't know about that though. All I know is they work well...see pictures below. (100yds, 3 shot grp on 260, 5 shot on .308 with 1 flyer) DSCN0018.JPG260 Remington DSCN0010.JPG.308 Winchester

I tried Varget when I started handloading a number of years ago for my 308 bolt gun. I got good results so I never had any reason to try anything else.

I load for my 223 and 308 using CFE 223 for both for accurate loads, get around 2950 fps with a 150 grn bt fmj and 2660 fps with 165 bt sp in 308. The 223 I load 50 grain varmint grenades and I'm still working up loads, I'm at 3450 fps with good accuracy but testing has been kyboshed by the plague, all ranges being closed and my local farmer doesn't like the noise c/f rifles make so I'm scuppered.
I was given a keg of vihtavouri n-150 and this is a cracking propellant but noisier than the hodgsons cfe223. It's maybe 50 - 75 fps down on cfe223.
Both the powders can be used in 7mm/308 round and are not far from the top end of the range especially cfe 223 in the little 223 rem and 308 win. The N150 isn't recommended for the 223 so be warned.
I'm in Europe and many of the powders mentioned, especially Varget, cannot be sold as they have components which, I believe, are judged to be carcinogenic.
Both my rifles are rugers, 308 is a #1 with 26" barrel and the 223 is a #3 with 22" barrel.
CFE 223 meters very accurately in my lee powder dispenser. I won't say that the N150 is any less meter friendly but I like to check the powder thrown against my scales for the first 100 rounds just to be "just so" and it's been OK so far.
The 308 shoots 3 shot groups about an inch, the 223 is more accurate but they are both hunting rifles with a self imposed max range of 300 metres.
I use a magnetospeed sport chrono.

The star line brass will lengthen out after its first firing, not that I'm saying it should of come from the factory that way, but not the end of the world. I would buy 8# jugs of varget when you find it. It will work well in something. I hate buying a pound and getting a load worked up just to be low on powder with no resupply in site

The short Starline brass was a big deal with short 40 grain ballistic tips as far as neck tension. Had to seat them much deeper than wanted too. I was pretty disappointed in the 15 bags of brass when sorting by OAL only. Couldn't imagine if I then had to sort by weight.

Not impressed.

Steve

For the .308 with 168 gr Sierra Match Kings, which is my main load for that rifle I really like RL-15 with 42 grains. Varget is good too but my favorite is the above!

Ive had really good luck from H4895 in several .308s From a 13" Wichita to a 24" Howa Chassis rifle, but lately I've been working a lot with Alliants Power Pro 2000 MR with some very interesting results. Low ES and SD, small groups. Haven't tried in the short barrels and only shot to 500 yards so far but interesting and can't wait to see what I come up with.

as a side note it is easier to find than a lot of powder.

IMR-4064 is my primary propellant for .308 Win. Unlike many, I have not experienced great results with Varget, as IMR-4064 has outperformed it in most cartridges I have used it in (22-250, .243 Win., .308 Win). The one exception was the 7mm-08, where the two rifles I loaded for at the time both preferred Varget. If I were to load a 7mm-08 today, I would try some Ramshot Big Game, as it has been lights out with 70 gr bullets in my .243 Win., and I believe could be a top performer in the 7mm-08.

So do you recommend getting 1 pound bottle, test it in each rifle, etc. If it works out, then order 8 pound bottle and completely start over (as lot number will be different). Any change in lot number of any component requires to start over. Or, can I just reduce the original charge by .5 grain and work back up?

Thanks.
Steve

I have not had issues from lot to lot on powders yet. I just shoot the load I have set up and see what happens, no problems or grouping changes so far. But I do test in just in case

Another vote for Varget.
I use it on my 223, 6mmBR, 6.5 creed
and 308 win.
Keep in mind that when you buy 1 lb container and you run out the next container 1 or 8 lb could have a different lot# and u may have to tweek your load.. Good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.