Powder in Lapua 308 Factory Target Ammo.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Brown Dog, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Brown Dog

Brown Dog Writers Guild

Just had an email from Lapua in response to an enquiry as to what powder they use in their 308 target ammo;

rather surprised...apparently it's N540.

...I don't fancy their supposedly 'cool burning' double base powders .....largely because I don't believe a higher energy powder can be made to burn cool....
    [ QUOTE ]
    These High Energy powders are made from extruded powder grains which are enhanced with Nitro-glycerine, resulting in a denser, more energetic propellant.

[/ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Although these new powders have a higher energy content, they do not cause greater wear to the gun. This is because the surface of the powder has been treated with an agent designed to reduce barrel wear.

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

.as always, no free lunch in ballistics.....anyone have contrary views to persuade me otherwise?

2. Wild_Bill

Wild_Bill Well-Known Member

Hi Brown Dog: The Vit 500 series of powders are verry unstable when loaded to maximum pressures they requie a coll storage area or the pressure skyrockets. People use it to gain velocity but if the wether heats up the pressure increases rapidly. Their 100 series is like the ADI manufactured Hodgdon Extreem Powders and is very stable the N133 is a prime example and is widly used in BR competitions in the 6mm PPC all over the world. If the loads are under MAX with the 500 series they are OK but not in extreem heat.

I am amased they do not use the single based powder aswell.

Cheers Bill
    Australia