Powder dispencer question

400bull

Years ago when my dad got tired of reloading he gave me all of his reloading equipment. I have been using the equipment for several years now without any major issues. I have been noticing lately that the powder measure does not seem to hold as consistent powder throw as it used to hold so I am thinking about replacing the meter measuring chamber with a new one to see if that will help improve the consistency. The problem is I don't know what model I currently have. I know that it is a Redding Powder dispenser but there are no markings on it to let me know what model. Any suggestions on how I could find out what meter chamber will work for my Powder dispenser or will all Redding meter chambers work for all Redding Powder dispensers?

400bull

I would leave it like it is and buy a trickler. That is if I understand your problem correctly.

When I first started using the equipment I could consistently get powder throws with in +/- .01 grains. I am still using the same powder dispensers and powder but I am not getting anywhere near the same constancy. My powder throws will now very +/-.5 grains with an occasional one being off as much as 1 to 2 grains. It was nice when it was with in +/- .1 grains because I would only measure every 5th or 10th round. Now I need to measure everyone. Which I understand is not a bad practice anyways. Not only is it not as consistent it seems to grow on me. Meaning if I start at 55 grains after 20-30 throws it will be closer to 56 or 57 grains. So I was hopping that changing the metering chamber would help resolve the issue.

400bull

When I started reloading, I got all my dad's gear out of the shed and kinda taught myself, along with some reloading manuals. This was before the internet explosion of hunting/reloading sites. I did it the way you are for a few years. Some powders in my thrower came out really accurate. I added a trickler and never looked back. It does add a little bit of time, but not as much as you think. You also know that everything is spot on. You set it up over your pan on the scale. It takes a few extra seconds to get every round dead nuts, but every round is dead nuts.

Been using a trickler starting at the first day. Accuracy is better this way. Just my oppion.

Years ago when my dad got tired of reloading he gave me all of his reloading equipment. I have been using the equipment for several years now without any major issues. I have been noticing lately that the powder measure does not seem to hold as consistent powder throw as it used to hold so I am thinking about replacing the meter measuring chamber with a new one to see if that will help improve the consistency. The problem is I don't know what model I currently have. I know that it is a Redding Powder dispenser but there are no markings on it to let me know what model. Any suggestions on how I could find out what meter chamber will work for my Powder dispenser or will all Redding meter chambers work for all Redding Powder dispensers?

400bull

Try too move the dispenser handle consistently between loads in both the up and down movement. You may also disassemble the unit clean it properly. Then apply a thin layer of grafite on the working parts. You would see that it would be much more consistent.

I haven't heard mention so far of the powder you're using, and wonder if that might not be the problem. If your initial loadings was with a ball powder or even a very short-cut extruded tubular, and you've since changed to a longer extruded type powder, that may very well explain the difference. Some powders meter very well, while others are a bit more troublesome. Some are a flat out pain in the ***. The measure you have is most likely a BR-3, or possibly a BR-30, but I doubt that changing the rotor will make any difference in the ability to meter consistent charges. As has already been mentioned, a smooth, consistent operation will contribute greatly to more uniform charges, but you have to accept the fact that not all powders will run through a measure easily. In most applications, the variation of a couple tenths won't make any difference. But if you wan the absolute finest in consistent charges, you're back to weighing individually, and adjusting with a trickler.

The powders that I am running are H-4831SC, H4350, and RL-17. All of which are the log based typed of powders. These are the same powders that I have been using for several years now. I have tried different throw sequences from 1 to 4 taps on the down stroke to see if that would help. I have not tried any taps on the up stroke yet. It seemed to help some but I would still get the occasional throw being off. It was also suggested that I get a baffle but that did not seem to make any difference. I guess my next best bet will be to pull it apart and give it a could cleaning.

400bull

the only mechanical measurer that will throw stick powders worth a **** is the old Belding & Mull. Sinclair used to sell some upgrades for the Redding 3BR and 30BR, and I do recommend the bottle adapter kit. Also try different lengths of drop tubes. But in the end you will have to trickle the final half grain of powder in the pan. It's just the nature of the beast
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.