Powder question

I'm fairly new to reloading, so I don't know what I don't know, but I'm a sponge and trying to soak up as much as I can. Have 3 different powders right now , with a need for at least 2 more . I can say this it's very addictive.
2A8A0952-709A-44DB-A28E-3741B181CB9F.png

Depending where you shoot and hunt you might need to avoid some powders due to being sentitive to temperature changes, when it gets to hot you'll have preasure spikes and can cause injury and damage your rifle, examples are RL19 and RL26 amongst other.

Some that are not temp sensitive are the Enduron line from IMR, from Hogdon there's H1000, H4831 and others.

As Frog4aday mentioned some powders will work for multiple bullets/cartridges but you'll sacrifice some speed/accuracy.

You can provably get away with only 3 or 4 powders.
26 is not supposed to be very temperature sensitive it says right on the Container excellent temperature stability
1BA5BDEE-1E8E-4763-92E3-CAA9A8B83914.jpeg

While theres different opinions on 26 being temp sensitive, RL17 IS temp sensitive. The new RL16 and RL23 I've found have been very stable for me.

So ahem you've caught my attention. What affects else 17 the most. Cold temperatures or hot. Yesterday rl 17 with a 140 grain nosler over 42 grains wouldn't group for nothing. Please tell me more.

If you load when its 50 deg. then shoot say at 80 its gonna be faster by how much every gun and cartridge is different.

Let me add something. Loaded 42 grains of rl 17. One article had as normal data. Another said it was under recommended load data. Plus bullet coal 2.75 and I also saw that 2.80 was optimal.

So one of the 2 or both is the problem, ahhh now it could be temps. While I can't do anything about temps, I can change my load. I'm hoping it's the seating depth.

Gotta wait another week to try. Then there's does rl 17 favor a light or heavy bullet. I'm seeing 120s are really popular, because I can't find any. So maybe that's the answer. Probably shouldn't test in the winter.

While they claim there the same, didnt work out that way in my 44 mag, lot # difference I dont know but I certainly wouldnt just swap charges from one to the next if your near max load.

26 is not supposed to be very temperature sensitive it says right on the Container excellent temperature stabilityView attachment 171704

Yeah but no. In February and March with tems in 70's is when I do my load development and by May when it's in the 90's and 100's I'll get pressure spikes.

Lots of folks here have had this issue.

Yeah but no. In February and March with tems in 70's is when I do my load development and by May when it's in the 90's and 100's I'll get pressure spikes.

Lots of folks here have had this issue.
You're probably right but I will know for sure when it warms up I just came up with a load for reloader 26 time will tell

You're probably right but I will know for sure when it warms up I just came up with a load for reloader 26 time will tell

In my case I got flattened primers and a stuck bolt. I. Kept reading how it gave more speed on the magnum cartridges withh heavier bullets so I tried it on my 7 Mag and it did but in the warmer temps it did not work well and sometimes when we hunt its 85 degrees or more so couldnt risk it.

If you are going to be shooting at cooler temps you'll be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.