Powder - Cartridge Cross Reference

Aggie1999

Reloading books are a great way to find out what powders work for a particular cartridge, but is there a reference for what cartridges might be a good match for a particular powder?

I see posts about guys looking for particular powders, and wonder what cartridges they might be loading with that powder. I also inherited a bunch of powder from an uncle, but I'm not sure what to use all the different powders for.

Is there a source out there that lists powders and then the cartridges that that particular powder is used to load for?

Reloading books are a great way to find out what powders work for a particular cartridge, but is there a reference for what cartridges might be a good match for a particular powder?

I see posts about guys looking for particular powders, and wonder what cartridges they might be loading with that powder. I also inherited a bunch of powder from an uncle, but I'm not sure what to use all the different powders for.

Is there a source out there that lists powders and then the cartridges that that particular powder is used to load for?
Most powder manufacturers reloading information do.

Powder companies. Generally, slower burning powder for heavier bullets, lighter bullets, faster burning powders. Depending of cartridge/twist rate, changes that from time to time. I wouldn't go by load manuals for powder selection, case in point, they list fast to slow powders in all bullet weight ranges. I spun my wheels for many years not making a more decisive selective choice for cartridge, bullet weight powder selection. Kinda like a blind fold and a piñata.

Last edited:
I have heard Bal-C 2 was designed for 5.56 and .223 and W748 is the powder for .308.I
I use BLC-2, actually WCC 846 which is alot less expensive for both those, Lee Enfield, Mosin PU sniper with 150 gr bullets- shooting steel out to 450 yd so far, and prob several other I am forgetting. I like the ball powders as they meter so well and you don't have to trickle and mess around/ measure each powder throw like the stick powders.

Just what I've figured out for me over 30+ yr of reloading.

I think some bullet manufacturers also list powder loads like Sierra reloading manual and others.
they get thier info form the powder companies. But they make it confusing when they list slow burning powder with lighter bullets. Experience helps that.

"Work for " and "optimal " can be different.
A powder CAN work in a large number of cartridges, but there tend to be one or twi "optimal" powders for each cartridge.

they get thier info form the powder companies. But they make it confusing when they list slow burning powder with lighter bullets. Experience helps that.
Yeah, I messed around with some faster burning powder years ago , and never could get what I wanted and switched to some slower stuff and corrected that, but what did I know I was only 15 or 16 .