Poll: lightweight hunting optic vortex or leupold

Which scope for long range hunting?

• Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52 Impact 23

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vortex Razor AMG 6-24x50 EBR-7B

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Goldy300

I know that similar questions have been asked, but I want a direct comparison of only these 2 scopes. As I have a good deal for either. It will be going on a Custom 300WinMag for long rang hunting and occasional recreational shooting. Which of the 2 is your vote?

Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x56
Vortex Razor AMG 6-24x50

I want to keep the weight down obviously because the gun was build with Manners Elite Stock and Proof CF barrel. Just not sure how import FFP may be? I had a PST GenII and I dialed for wind most times.

For a true long range rifle I would get the Vortex Razor AMG 6-24x50. For predominantly long range shooting it has an excellent FFP reticle, turrets and good glass.

For a rifle that would also be carried for general hunting some and closer shots expected, I would lean towards the Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x56. It has a better zoom range and the SFP reticle would be easier to see on fast close shots and still work great long range.

Also depends on if you want to not have to use dope cards or an app for long range shots. the Leupy has the CDS turrets that you can have matched to your load. That brings its own can of worms along with it though because changes in elevation and weather can affect the accuracy of it and you have to have a different turret for different loads.

For a long range rig, I think it would be the Razor hands down.
I think christmas tree style reticles would be much more useful with an FFP reticle. Although the ability to quickly use correction based on last shot would work well in FFP and SFP.

Of the two, I would choose the Vortex AMG. I'd choose the the March 2.5x25x52 SFP over either. Superior glass, tracking, and reliability. Light weight and compact.
Yeah, thats not going to work. Over 3K dollars. Maybe if I won the lottery!

I have that exact Leupold and a March scope and would agree with Greyfox on the March but I am not a fan of Vortex after having two of them. The glass on the Leupold is far better in my opinion and it is lightweight.

I have that exact Leupold and a March scope and would agree with Greyfox on the March but I am not a fan of Vortex after having two of them. The glass on the Leupold is far better in my opinion and it is lightweight.
Deviant, what Vortex scope did you have. I had a PST GenII. It wasn't bad. It just lost some resolution in the higher power range.

Yeah, thats not going to work. Over 3K dollars. Maybe if I won the lottery!

You can get this scope that greyfox is referring too for $2347 with MTR-3 reticle at longrangesupply.com and if you are ok with a duplex recticle it can be had for $2137. I agree with Greyfox once you have had one of these scopes they spoil you.

Of the two you mentioned the glass in the Vx6 is very good.

Last edited:
Both were viper hst.
I just looked. Illm. is 2500+ for the March if we are going to compare features to features. Also I had Viper HS-T, it is not in the same class as the GenII let alone, and is light years behind the AMG.

I
You can get this scope that greyfox is referring too for $2347 with MTR-3 reticle at longrangesupply.com and if you are ok with a duplex recticle it can be had for $2137. I agree with Greyfox once you have had one of these scopes they spoil you.

Of the two you mentioned the glass in the Vx6 is very good.

I paid the same for my March with the MTR-3 reticle as I did the AMG....no comparison. AMG had to go back for service due to turret problems.

I just looked. Illm. is 2500+ for the March if we are going to compare features to features. Also I had Viper HS-T, it is not in the same class as the GenII let alone, and is light years behind the AMG.
Yes they were not in the same class as my other scopes but I put them on rimfire rifles because I got a deal on them. I also used a Razor HD but still didn't think it compared to the VX6 HD glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.