Pointed South

BB...Thank you for the write up. I found myself groaning as I read it. Don't really know how to respond. Sounds like a very large pool of ignorance and you, unfortunately, had to wade through it. Kind of hard to understand their antipathy for oaks. We hunt the oaks in the fall when we often find the hogs rooting for acorns. Maybe you got to see some "purdy country"?? 30-338

States get Pittman Robertson excise tax funds to purchase wildlife habitat. There is not enough money to go very far so the states try to leverage the money by having the land they purchase turn some revenue from farming or lumbering etc. It is not uncommon for such land to be lease farmed with grains which provide wildlife food. Where I dove hunt in Maryland - McKee/Beshers is such an operation.

However, what SC DNR did was buy a hunting club property and then log it as much as the swamps would allow and turn it into a Weyerhauser tree farm complete with rows and rows of pine trees. They thing that is upsetting is that in the search for revenue they destroyed wildlife habitat.

Bob------In Texas there is no season nor is a license required on private land for feral hogs--they may be hunted at any time and by any means.

Will tell you that there is a reason they are called the smartest animal in the "barnyard"! Anyone who has ever hunted feral hogs can tell you that A---they are primarily nocturnal and B---they are smart so if they have been run by dogs then good luck you will need it.

Next time do the due diligence---find out who the local GW is and call him and be nice---most southern GW's do not like know it all Yankee Bureaucrats LOL as a rule but they can tell you everything that is going on in the area.

Good Luck on the next hunt..

ob------In Texas there is no season nor is a license required on private land for feral hogs--they may be hunted at any time and by any means.

I wish would send a letter to Texas DNR and tell them that. The last two times I went hog hunting in Texas on private land they made me buy a license. IIRC it was the exotic species license.

Any GW/CO or LE who is discourteous to a nonresident is an idiot. Many of the states have a fee structure in place such that the nonresident fees cover more than half of their agency annual income.

At Webb there was a maintenance facility and perhaps 10-20 DNR employees. One uniformed employee came by Hamilton Ridge on Wednesday afternoon and went into the hog processing building to put the day hunt tickets in the box and she did not spend the ten minutes needed to hose the place down. Then on Thursday night another uniformed DNR employee came and stood around inside the building for over an hour and did not hose it down.

I wish would send a letter to Texas DNR and tell them that. The last two times I went hog hunting in Texas on private land they made me buy a license. IIRC it was the exotic species license.

Any GW/CO or LE who is discourteous to a nonresident is an idiot. Many of the states have a fee structure in place such that the nonresident fees cover more than half of their agency annual income.

At Webb there was a maintenance facility and perhaps 10-20 DNR employees. One uniformed employee came by Hamilton Ridge on Wednesday afternoon and went into the hog processing building to put the day hunt tickets in the box and she did not spend the ten minutes needed to hose the place down. Then on Thursday night another uniformed DNR employee came and stood around inside the building for over an hour and did not hose it down.

Bob in Texas it is Texas Parks and Wildlife and this reg has changed---In the past it read "Feral hogs may be hunted ant any time and by any means". It seems that they are now considered an exotic and there is language somewhere that allows for the killing of feral hogs as depredating animals without a license just having the landowners permission.

Now if you plan on keeping the stinky thing then you will need a licence BUT of the countless ones I have killed we just drag them out where it is easier for the buzzards to find them. Hate them with a passion---when it gets a little warmer and dries out some we wait for them to head to the tanks at night to wallow then thin them out as much as possible..

Last edited:
The second three day season for hogs at South Carolina Hamilton Ridge WMA was once again Thursday, Friday, and Saturday; so I loaded up the truck with less gear than the first trip and made the nine hour drive down. I leave about 5:00 in the morning in order to avoid the rat migration into their places of business. That is one of the great joys of no longer being in the daily rat race. Early afternoon sees me in Hamilton Ridge and there are only two camps set up so I have my pick of places and set up about the same as last time. After camp is set up I go over and inspect the general sanitation of the place. All of the portipotties are clean and have paper in them. The building itself is in better shape. Moral of that story is that the turkey hunters left the place in much better shape than the hound hunters. In fact, the company came and cleaned them again on Thursday.

Wednesday evening, I went out scouting for fresh sign and low and behold there is fresh dirt in exactly the same field I had hunted last time. I decided that would be a good place to try and didn't bother to scout much more. By dark two more camps had been put up so now there were about five groups and maybe 15 people as opposed to the early spring hunt when there were maybe 20-30 camps and perhaps 75-100 hunters each day.

Early opening morning I ease into the field and wait and watch but there are no hogs. So I get to investigating the fresh dirt and begin to see a pattern. It is all just small diggings around in the already rooted out places. The more the day wears on the clearer the fresh dirt mystery becomes. The WMA is overrun with armadillos which root around just like miniature pigs. Live and learn!

The place is also overrun with small alligators. One evening I walked by a small pond and notice a yearling in the water so I thought it might be fun to catch it. I got me a stick about two feet long and sat on the bank and dabbled the stick in the water to make some small splashing sounds. Little two foot long alligators came swimming from everywhere. They formed a semicircle about ten feet out in the water and tried to decide whether to come in a try to get a bite or not. I never did get one close enough to make a grab for so after a while I went back to pig hunting.

So Friday came and went and Saturday I decided to try a place I had hunted last time but with not much sign. After walking around there and checking a lot of places I did not find much evidence of any large amount of hogs. But I heard some hounds hunting on the private hunting club adjacent to the WMA and they seemed to be in the swamp that was the boundary line. Having no coherent plan of action at the moment I went to the truck and drove down to where the road crosses the swamp. So I am sitting there in the truck thinking about whether to get out and venture in the swamp or not when a black hog darts across the little dirt road. I ease the truck up to where it crossed and can still get glimpses of it going through the trees but there is no way to get a shot. I wander around there for a moment and do not hear the hounds running anymore so conclude that they have gone home. I am sitting in my truck debating whether I will back the truck up to a wide spot and park and go into the swamp after the hog or to go to camp and get lunch and come back after things have settled down a bit. About that time another hog runs across the road and it is black with a broad white band. So I park the truck and ease into the swamp with the S&W 460 and a bottle of mosquito repellent. I am navigating through the swamp very slowly going from dry hillock to dry hillock trying not to step on a water moccasin and not make any noise to scare the hogs. Suddenly I see a pure white hog trotting through the trees and I get the S&W lined up on it but it does not stop and then it turns and comes directly toward me and I recognize that it is a white hound running silent. It is illegal for the hound to be there so I briefly ponder ending its days but notice it has a radio collar so figure it has been called off by its owner and is now returning to the private land. Thinking that the pigs must have been run hard I figure where they will quit running and hole up and I go circle around the swamp to get ahead of them but they do not show up so after awhile the call of lunch wins out and I go to camp and get a bite to eat and then return to the ambush site. At this point the crucial decision of the trip is made. If I get the rifle out of the case then I know if a shot comes that I can make it. If I take the pistol then it will be a matter of much luck if I hit anything beyond 30-40 yards. In the end the lure of fun wins out over the lure of killing and I take the S&W.

I sit in the swamp with the mosquitoes for about three hours and get bored from doing nothing and decide to head deeper into the swamp. I only go about 200 yards (but that takes nearly half an hour I am moving so slowly and carefully). Finally, I am rewarded for all of the hard days. About 60 yards away is a black shape moving in the trees. I have a shooting stick to rest the pistol on but it is hooked to my belt so it is going to be a freehand shot. Thoughts of the morning's misadventure with the hound surface in my mind and I decide that I cannot shoot until I am 100 % positive that it is a pig. It turns away from me was goes about another ten yards then turns broadside and I am able to get a positive ID on it. But the head and part of the front shoulder is behind a tree so I have only a small target but nonetheless I either take the shot I have or risk no shot. I line up the sights as close to the shoulder and the tree as I reasonably believe I can based upon my ability with the pistol. As the trigger breaks I see full well that the front bead is now to the rear of the ribs and slightly high. Sure enough the pig rears up on its hind legs hit very hard but when it comes back down on its front legs it goes into high gear and is running hard. About this time massive chaos occurs and there are now about 20 hogs running all over the swamp just going everywhere, so I naturally manage to shoot an oak tree about 30 yards in front of me instead of one of the pigs. This irritates the living fool out of me so I pick another small pig and try to hit him. He is at a dead run through the trees at 70 yards and once again I miss by at least 3 feet. Then as quickly as it began it is all over.
I slogged through the swamp and searched for the hit pig but after about 5 minutes I hear two gunshots about 600 yards away in another arm of the swamp which was where the last pigs were headed. So it stands to reason that the hog was hit high in the intestinal cavity and was not going to stop moving for a while but was slowed enough that the other hunter got an easy shot. I search around till about dark and found nothing where I was and counted myself lucky not to have gotten snake bit with all of the stuff I waded and stomped around in searching for the hog.

So that was how my hunt went. Very few other hunters around and two pigs killed for about a 10% success rate, much cleaner facilities and actually managed to finally figure out how to hunt the pigs. Did some shooting and had some fun. Down sides to the hunt were the fire ants bit me a lot and got into all of my food and the mosquitoes were really fierce in the swamps but not too bad at the campsite. I had a lot of fun playing with the alligators, and best of all, stopped at Ruby Tuesdays at Ft Bragg on the way home Sunday and had lunch with my son. They had a jump earlier in the week with the MC6s and full gear and he had learned that jumping with gear is not as much fun as without.

Thanks Bob!
I really enjoyed the "after action report" Very descriptive , humorous and with a touch of self deprecation. I felt like I was in the swamp looking for those hogs. I got frustrated that I could not use my shooting stick. Motivated me to cook up some medium spice Italian sausage along with my eggs this A.M. That 460 S&W is quite a powerhouse. We went out hoggin' this weekend and, inspired by your narrative,:) I may write it up, Thanks again! 30-338

Thanks for the good read! Always shoot hogs Low and Behind the shoulder esp with a pistol with a slow bullet. They have nothing but the bottom of the ribs and hide there plus it will trash the lungs. Have killed more than I can count that way. Pulled a shot on a running sow once and the 338 Lapua 250 gr SMK at almost 300 yards left a softball sized exit wound in the center of the shoulder AND she still ran 300 yards!

A lot of people, and that includes myself, are looking for a place to hunt hogs on public land within driving distance of the Atlantic Northeast region during the slow part of the year. This thread pretty much explains the issues and likelihood of success if you go to South Carolina. There are other WMAs in South Carolina that are in the upper part of the state and some of them have different seasons. But no matter where you go on public land in SC you are going to find animals that have been hunted hard and are extremely well educated and spooky. You should only go if you really enjoy hunting hard and long. No need to take a big cooler your first trip because you won't need it.

Its not long range hunting but its an opportunity to get out and see some different wildlife and scenery.

BB, good job, pretty much summed up the thread in one post. I'm in the same boat, trying to find hogs within driving distance of Va/Md.

The area you hunted in SC sounds like you need more than one hunter to be sucessful, a group effort to locate and then pinpoint the hogs. Definately a tough hunt.

I guess the search continues.

BB, good honest hunting story, thanks for sharing. Oh ya, your line about "rat migration into their places of business", had me in stitches. I use to do the NY metropolitan commute and never heard it put like that.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.