Please help me decide on which laser bore sighter to buy

Snake Plysken1

Having a hard time, folks, on which laser bore sight tool to buy. For starters, I'm settled on the green dot laser. Ive owned the Bushnell brand red laser, that uses the plastic assortment of arbors. What a piece of work that ended up being. Perfect example of you get what you pay for!
So, I've narrowed it down to either the Wheeler or the Sight Mark. Only downfall on the Wheeler, besides the $129 price tag, is that it's no where to be found now. Back ordered at all the big online vendors. No big, as I don't mind waiting.
The Sight Mark, also is attached to the end of a barrel with a magnet, like the Wheeler, but it has a built in arbor, that centers the unit into the barrel, which the Wheeler has no way of being centered onto the end of a barrel. Cost for the green laser Sight Mark is anywhere from $69-$80.
All I have to go on are the vendors reviews, and YouTube vids. Both laser bore sighters have about 80% positive reviews and 20% negative reviews. Has anyone here used any of these two items? If so, what are your negative thoughts on either of the two? I could get the Sight Mark and save around $50, but again, don't want to end up with another P.O.S. Like I did with the Bushnell. I don't mind spending the money on the Wheeler, but for the folks that own them, is it worth that price tag?
Anyway, sorry for the long winded inquiry. Can anyone assist by sharing their experiences with these two bore sighters?
Thanks, all.
SP1

I have a laser bore sighter, can't say what brand off the top of my head because I used it maybe 3 times and haven't bothered in 10 years or more. Keeping the O-rings sorted for caliber was also a bit of a pain in the backside. On the other hand, my bushnell collimator (magnetic) is my go-to bore sighting tool every time I mount a scope. I don't care to put much in my barrels except bullets and cleaning patches, and there is always the chance of forgetting to remove an arbor mounted laser in the bore and getting on the trigger (seems to happen a lot on youtube....)

You bet it is. I bought one last summer, used it three times and it quit working altogether. Called Wheeler said they'd send another immediately. They did and didn't want the old one back. Now that's service. What's more I've used this borescope (green) out to 620 yards in the daytime off the reflective target that comes with it and was shocked at target location consistency wherever I moved the smooth magnetic mount (at 620 yards the green dot is larger than the target). I've used it on my 270s' also--with sporter barrels--and found the same consistency.

I've had reticle screen leaded steel insert boresighters (Sweaney & Bushnell), "dart" type barrel laser pointer boresighters, and chamber laser boresighters. This Wheeler magnetic--green laser--impresses me the most for ease of use, harmless to barrels, and accuracy. All that and the service I experienced is hard to beat.

I have the SL-150. Works nice. Comes with a ballistics target where you can sight in at 25 feet and correct for 100 yrd. It actually works.

I move scopes.around a lot. Makes checking and sighting in so much easier. You will be on the.paper at 100 yrds and probably only an inch or.two off bullseye

They have the green laser one too

SITELITE : SL - 150

I have the SL-150. Works nice. Comes with a ballistics target where you can sight in at 25 feet and correct for 100 yrd. It actually works.

I move scopes.around a lot. Makes checking and sighting in so much easier. You will be on the.paper at 100 yrds and probably only an inch or.two off bullseye

They have the green laser one too

SITELITE : SL - 150

Coody- looked at that SL-150. Pricey baby, especially the SL500 that just came out. Is the arbor that slips into the barrel magnetized? Or held in by O-rings?
So, I "bought to try out" a Sight Mark" green. I like the fact that it has that self centering arbor, that collapses into the housing and the unit is then held on by a magnet. But, while handling a rifle at the local Sportsmanship Warehouse to try the laser rangefinder, I bumped the rifle on the counter, which cause the unit to fall off the muzzle. It was just a slight bump. For those with the Wheeler unit, how strong is that magnet? If that Wheeler had a self centering arbor like that Sight Mark does, it would be the perfect unit.
I have 30 days to try the Sight Mark unit, and as long as I take good care of it, SW will gladly take it back. Meanwhile, I've seen it on Amazon for $30 less.
Still waiting on someone to tell me about his views on this Sight Mark, and more thoughts on the Wheeler is OK, also. Any more opinions?
By the way, I too have the Bushnell, arbor fed, collimator type. It works good, I guess, as long as I duct tape it to my barrel to keep it from tilting, and also if the scope isn't mounted too high on the rifle. Or else I can't see the graphed target

Sorry, but I don't use any of these gizmos. I've never seen one that worked that well. For bolt actions, I but rifle on a small lead sled type device and take the bolt out. I have a 1" target dot stuck to a fence 25 yards outside the garage door. I adjust the rifle until I can see the 1" dot perfectly centered while looking thru the bore. I hold the rifle in that position and adjust the scope turrets until the reticle lines up with dot. It puts things on paper at 50 yards and usually 100

Frankly, for as well as any of them perform compared to the cost, I'm with
BarrelNut on this one. I follow a very similar procedure then, when the moment arrives for the 100 yard adjustments to ensure I'm on paper, I takes my spotting scope and have an associate watch the target area. I select a dirt clod or similar target and have my associate watch for the splash in the berm. If I'm on target there's no need to adjust before going to the paper. If I'm off enough to make a huge difference I use the spotter's input (most target backers are about 24 inches square and even the most novice spotter can handle those variations) and make an adjustment before one more shot at the berm dirt clod. That's all it takes to get it on paper and, usually, pretty darn close to center.
And I didn't spend a dime. Save your money.

1, my son gave me a Site Lite. I mount a lot of scopes for friends and relatives and my dot on a piece of paper in a tree just wasn't working well for me. The Site Lite has been a quick way to dial in a scope and I've found a few scopes that were defective before going to the range with it. I've read the reviews for several boresighters and all have some negatives, but the Site Lite was the most favorable. It has great instructions and I found it easy to use. If $129 is too much, you might try the dot on a piece of paper since their 100 model is about $99. The plus for me was it's made in USA, actually here in Az. Good luck

I have the Site Lite 150 as well, and have used it for several years. My hunting partner bought it, then gave it to me to use since I do all of the firearms work for us. Using it at a target known to be 100 yards away, and doing it at night, works great. I also worked out how to get it close in my basement before I ever take it outside for the 100 yard test.

Yep

The site lite works

You get what.you pay for

You buy bargain basement and you are disappointed so now all bore sighters are the same

I too did it on paper at 25 yrds for years. It works. If that is how you want to do it

The poster asked about laser bore.sighters. i know this one works.

I'm with BN and FNW, I have a couple of collimators that I use at home for a quick bore sight but when I am at the range, I do similar to this ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/TiOpQY2ORo4?t=124[/ame]

I have a laser boresighter (can't remember brand) the one that goes into the chamber for my AR just because I cannot see through the barrel. :):Dgun)

I totally agree on the crude but effective method of removing the firearms bolt and sighting down the barrel is there, has been used for years, costs nothing, and it works! But, what about rifles that do not have a bolt to be removed? Also, something has to be said, about using a collimator or a laser, to use as a reference when moving one scope from rifle to rifle, and noting its zero point. That way returning to zero as you return it(scope)to its original rifle you know it's still on point. We might as well make use of technology if it's out there.
I'm going to have to research more on the SL1. I've narrowed it down to the Wheeler or the Sight Mark, but seems most of you folks are leaning towards the SL1. Still no comments on the Sight Mark Triple Duty Green laser, huh?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts