Please help - Don’t know where to start

+1 on Ultimate Reloader on You Tube and Pan Handle Precision. I have been reloading for 30 years and learn something from these two all the time.

I still have my old Hornady press I started with and a Redding T7.

If you were to watch the videos suggested and ask questions when they come up here in this forum you will be golden. There are many folks here with so much experience and knowledge.

So jump in, good luck and have fun.

I'd definitely go with a single stage over any other option for what you're wanting to do . As far as brand pick a straw . I personally would go with a rcbs press of some sort . That's just my opinion. Never tried none of the others . Not saying they are not good or nice .
With that being said you need to get reloading manuals now and read them front to back at least once. Yes I know you can get reloading data online. But having the books in you hands will save lots of troubles down the road. Also as previously mentioned by others try to find someone who can hopefully give you hands on experience. It's like lots of other fun and exciting things in life you can look at magazines even watch videos online but till you get your own experience you'll never truly enjoy it😛

Before you go and buy a kit, check out the Forster Co-Ax press. It's expensive, but a excellent press indeed.

Right now TODAY order a reloading manual. Start reading through that. That should be step one. Lyman, Hornady or nosler are the manuals I ready through the most. Get a Hornady lock and load or a rock Chucker kit. This will get you in the game. The manual you can look and see what components to start looking for and upgrade as you go. Good luck

I should add I'm not wanting to reload to save money. I'm wanting to reload because all these ammo scares have me worried about being able to purchase Ammo. I like to have a decent amount on hand because I shoot a lot. Also now that I've gotten into long range hunting and shooting I'd like to load develop. So money really isn't playing a role in this. As much as I shoot I realize if I reload it Will cost me just as much I will just probably shoot more.
I used to buy all my ammo, I was working and we had enough throw away money.
Then I decided I wanted to do some long range shooting. My skills had deteriorated as I had not seriously shot rifles for a decade or so. New rifle 338LM, ±10" @ 1/4 mile from POA, ouch. $6.00+ per round, I began to reload.
Now @ 1/4 mile POI fit under a quarter, (25¢ piece), and my ammo <$2.00 ea. I began to reload my pistol ammo and now I am deadly at 30 yards instead of 10 yards.

Short story follows.
Reloading after initial output costs will be less expensive.
Your shooting skills will greatly improve
Keep excessive notes, data is your friend. You can reduce later when you know more.
Don't expect immediate miracles.
Make sure your wife agrees before starting.
Fishing is less expensive but not as rewarding.

If you live in an anti-2nd amendment state you do not want to be registered, excepting as required by law that is.

It's hard to beat the Lee ultimate die sets. For $40 you get full length, neck, crimp and bullet seat dies. As far as single stage presses go wrong with rcbs or hornady. They are definitely higher price and higher quality than Lee but my but my Lee press has been great for me. If you're really sure you want to get into reloading I advise going ahead and buying a electric powder dispenser (ex: rcbs chargemaster lite) and a hand powder trickler. Still need the beam scale from the kit to double check loads through. Also the Frankfort arsenal electric case trim and prep center is a godsend for speeding up brass trimming, and prep. You might not appreciate the items as much unless you start out with the basics but I can never go back now. Best of luck to ya

I use a Lee Classic Turret for all my pistol and some of my small rifle. I guess it would be called a automatic single stage press. Easy to use and learn. Can buy different heads to be able to leave dies set. Priced really good. Good videos on line. They also have several kits to pick from. Will load a bunch of ammo quick without the challenges of a progressive. Good value

Reloading, to create a finished product from components, is a very satisfying effort. I went the least expensive way that is probably possible. I have been made fun of by buddies. Might as well let it be known here.
I started with a Lee loader and pecking with a hammer. It is ok but don't do it.
Now, this is because you seemed to have asked...
Get a single stage press. I have RCBS rock chucker, it is great. You can buy a Lee press kit but you won't be satisfied. Get a balance beam scale or a electronic one, a good one, as it all hinges on trusting your powder charge.
Case prep can be cheap at first, at first... So, get a Lee case prep kit and buy a Lee case trimmer, hand trimmer, for each caliber you load for.
Pick your 7mm and get a deluxe die set, Lee will probably do.
So, press, dies for 7mm, deluxe with shell holder and crimp die. Scoop too. Powder measure is probably electronic.? Use your press to push in primers after you did all the prep on the case, by hand, with your Lee case prep kit and Lee case length cutter. 0000 steel wool is your friend for now.
If you just reload one thing make it your most expensive ammo to buy. Sounds like 7mm Remington which is a fine long distance hunter cartridge, very fine.
Buy high end bullets you are gonna use for a purpose.
Do not reload for 9mm yet... wait.
For pistol? Get a 44 Magnum or a 357 and learn to cast lead....and make 38 special and 44 special type ammo. This is your SHTF stuff.
So, I hope I have helped. It is an adventure with many side roads. You can add all the extra fancy doo dads and performance enhancing things to your reloading bench as you see fit, over the next few years.

When you say "large caliber" is that something like 416 Cheytac? if it is then a standard press like the Rock Chucker may not be large enough to load those types of cartridges. Also buy quality dies and equipment from the start, as you progress you may quickly find that mediocre tools don't produce the standard you might come to expect from your handloads. I too would recommend a Dillon for handgun and 5.56, it also works fine for common shorter range hunting loads for smaller cartridges. Were it me, I would get the Dillon 750, it's much more machine for a little more money.

First: don't start with this forum! (It is too detailed.)

Second: buy the latest edition of the Hornady Reloading Manual. The first 50 or so pages will give you an introduction to the concepts and steps of reloading. (Of course they steer you toward using their equipment and tools.) Others on this forum can recommend whole books on the subject that I have not bought.

Third: set your budget for equipment (it needs to be at least $1,000), and make a list of the basic equipment you are looking for, so you can shop the vendors. (MidwayUSA.com is a vendor with a wide choice of manufacterers. They also have excellent reviews from their customers on virtually everything they sell.)

I will let others expound from here..............

If you get a single stage press, I would get a Forster CO-AX, otherwise grab a Turret style press, the reason, you will get aggravated when you are in load development and need to reset the dies since you removed them. The Forster you can set and pull out without changing your settings. If I was to start over if I did not grab a Forster the next press on my list is the Redding turret press. As for dies, don't grab the cheapest for your Long Range rifle, you can mix them up to maybe offset the cost for a set. I was going to purchase a Redding Master Hunter set for my new 6.5 Creedmoor, but for 159.00 I was wondering if I could do just as good and save a little. I purchased the Redding FL sizer for 35.00 and the Forster Ultra Micrometer seater die for 82.00. All the reviews I had read mentioned the Forster seating die to be the best followed by the Redding Micro seating die. Just get ready to be very disappointed on the powder availability for the Magnum cartridges and for 6.5 Creed powder availability. Just remember, a pound of powder is 7000 grains, in H1000 a 7 Rem Mag starting load the s 63 gr. and tops out around 69 gr., so you are looking around 101 to 111 7 mag Cartridges per pound. When buying powder or primers online, you pay a Has Mat fee, that can run anywhere from 12.00 to 20.00 per 50 lbs, so I wouldn't buy one pound online, just doesn't make it worthwhile, just something to think about. It is expensive to get started, but after you have everything to start it settles down a little, now you pay for components needed, primers will be the cheapest thing to buy. Good luck and enjoy the process.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.