Playing around with powder choices for a 280 AI and 140gr Sierra SPBT.....

cdherman

About a year ago I played with your thoughts about powder choices. Getting close to actually shooting. Long year....

Today I used QL to play with some powder choices. Stuff I have in abundance. I know my COAL based on a rather short throat. So plugged that into QL. Looked at Norma MRP, RL26, Ramshot Magnum, Enduron 4451, H4831SC, H1000 VV570, H4350.

That was kind of the order of one simple characteristic. Velocity at case fill of 102%, or until QL calculated dangerous pressure.

Just as many have suggested, MRP (and very similar RL22) as well as RL26 tend to show great velocity with the 280 AI right at 102% case fill.

I just found it interesting that the powders that tend to get a lot of thumbs up, also tend to end up at right at 100% case fill. I have heard this before, and experienced it too. But just figured it was an observation worth reporting that is bearing out potentially once again......

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.