.280 AI powder suggestions

I have had great results with H4831sc. It's temp stable. I am running the 162 ELD-X right at 2900 FPS with 59.5 grains of powder out of a 25 inch barrel. I stayed with 4831 because I can find it and I'm not a speed freak as some are. It's accurate and changes very little over a wide temperature range. With your 26" barrel any of the above mentioned powders will treat you well. Good luck.

I've been working on loads for my Kimber MA in 280 AI. I have been working with several bullets since I will be using this rifle on several backpack hunts for various game species but primarily sheep. Yesterday I shot the best loads for 5 different bullets and considering this is an ultralight setup (under 6.5lbs) I think it did pretty well. I am primarily using RL26 in all loads. The last target which was the only non sub MOA group, was the last group for the day and I will take the blame for this group not being Sub-MOA.....this combination is usually .75MOA or less

Attachments

• 1AB85DE8-1ED8-4988-8AB9-0FBC8A87829C.jpeg
    1AB85DE8-1ED8-4988-8AB9-0FBC8A87829C.jpeg
    715.8 KB · Views: 163
H-1000 when you can find it. Started with h-4831 sc and got good accuracy but Nosler AB and H-1000 seem to work the best for me. Presently searching for other powders as H-1000 non available.

Is RL23/26 not particularly temp stable. I thought it was temp stable improvement to 22/25. I have no idea. Just took Alliant on their word.

Hard to beat the accuracy of retumbo and the 168 Berger. Has shot great in every one I've tried it in. Not the fastest loads but very accurate and temp stable and super low es. Just what is needed for long range hunting.
Shep

Rl23 is very temp stable and is my second choice. Rl23 and 16 seem to be as stable as h extreme powders. Rl26 not as stable but blistering speeds. You really need to do your own stability test. Every cartridge and combo shows slightly different results. Like you can't say rl23 loses 5fps per degree all the time. It's not like that. In one case design it might lose more or less. Just do the freezer test to duplicate your winter temps. To me in the 280ai retumbo is the most stable losing very little speed. You might try it and get a different results. Do your own testing and you will know for certain what it does. Have fun with it. Every trip to the freezer I get a drumstick icecream. Yah baby.
Shep

I have seen RL 23 on some shelves and will buy it if bump into it again. I have a pound or 2 in the cabinet. I have finally learned that I need to just buy 8lb jugs of stuff that works. I need to buy 8 lbers of Varget and H4350 whenever the opportunity presents itself again.

I've been working on loads for my Kimber MA in 280 AI. I have been working with several bullets since I will be using this rifle on several backpack hunts for various game species but primarily sheep. Yesterday I shot the best loads for 5 different bullets and considering this is an ultralight setup (under 6.5lbs) I think it did pretty well. I am primarily using RL26 in all loads. The last target which was the only non sub MOA group, was the last group for the day and I will take the blame for this group not being Sub-MOA.....this combination is usually .75MOA or less
Take that 160 gr accubond load and scare sheep like your from VT!

Thanks for all the great information.
Here's the list mentioned:
RL16, RL23, RL26, H4831, H4831sc, H1000, N565, IMR7977, Retumbo ( I might have missed a couple).
Thinking about trying RL23... of course this will depend a little on local availability. I suppose I could pay hazmat if needed but would rather not unless I put in a large order.
Thanks for mentioning the freezer test. I've read about this before but completely forgot about it. I will need to try this as well as maybe cooking a few in the sun to see what kind of velocity swings I get.
Someone asked in the tread about finding load data. Do any of you have good online sources for load data? Are they reputable? My Sierra manual doesn't list info on most of the choices listed above. Thanks again for the help.
I live west of St. Cloud and hunt in NW MN.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.