.280 AI powder suggestions

PartsJr.

First time post.

Looking for load/powder advise from people who shoot .280AI. I am not looking for bullet advise but would like to know what you're using.

I am planning to work up a NEW load for my rifle.
I am mainly going to use the gun for MN deer out to 600 yards as well as any coyote that presents the opportunity.

I am planning to shoot something in the 140-160gr weight class. Currently using 145gr LRX.

I would like a temperature stable powder that gives good velocity and accuracy with priority on accuracy. Please tell me what you are using. I am also curious about how much a 30-50 degree F temperature swing affects velocity.

My rifle is a trued Rem. 700 with 26" Brux 1:9 twist #5 contour (no brake or can).

Thanks for your advise.

N565 is my new powder for my 280ai. I am shooting 175s at 2950fps, I have also used H4831sc and re26. I always got a flier with re26, that's why I switched to n565.

I am on the same quest with a new-to-me 280 AI. QuickLoad rates RL26 very highly, and right behind it is RL16. I'm going to test RL-16 under 150 grain NBTs, primarily because RL16 is reportedly more temp stable than RL26.

The last two Nosler Manuals consistently had H4831 as their most accurate power for essentially all hunting bullet weights. I don't get the velocities that some do, but 150-160 gr ABs in front of +/- 60 grs, gives me excellent accuracy in my Kimber. I guess I'd add IMR 7977 as also promising. It's hard to beat RL 25/26 for pure velocity, if that's the main goal (it's not usually mine)....

I've been working on the same. I've been avoiding the Reloder powders. Just don't want to work up loads based on temp variations (I need consistency), even though I know most get great results with them. I've focused more on the 168 VLD's and was surprised at the accuracy I was getting out of Retumbo. The 4831sc shows promise also but seemed pretty low on speeds. Just loaded some 140 NBT's this week with IMR 4350 and H4895 (what I had on hand). My first go round I was using Fed 215 primers in all my loads, only because I meant to purchase the 210's and got the 215 by accident (found many 280ai shooters prefer those to the 210's). Now I have some 210's to try since most posted loads seem to use them. I'll try to post results if I can ever get to the range...........

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.