Pistol Powder Turned White

rogerstv

I unloaded several .45 Auto rounds that would not chamber. The powder from a couple came out white. It still burns. I thought it might be H110 until I looked in the container and noticed H110 is cylindrical.

I had no idea .45 Auto is such a difficult round to reload. There is a fine line from expanding the case to bullet seating/crimping. It seems I cannot crimp much with my setup before I either get a case bulge or the round will not fit in the barrel.

I am using a Hornady Custom Grade Taper Crimp 3-die set 45 Auto/AR/WIN to load for a Colt Gold Cup Trophy 1911. Maybe I have the wrong die set. All suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0042.JPEG
    IMG_0042.JPEG
    310.7 KB · Views: 109
Just a thought. Check the head case stamp on the rounds that did not chamber.
I have experienced one or two brands (off name stuff) that caused that problem.

My experience is that reloading 45ACP is not difficult (I have reloaded literally 1,000s of swc lead and round nose jacketed 45 ACPs). FWIW I use a Dillons carbide sizing/depriming die and RCBS taper crimper to finish the round.

I sorted the brass. These are Federal. I have not tired the other brands. Most are range brass. I suspect a few of my fire formed rounds made it back in the bucket.

I sorted the brass. These are Federal. I have not tired the other brands. Most are range brass. I suspect a few of my fire formed rounds made it back in the bucket.
Hum. I never had problems with Federal brass. Another thought - perhaps a few of your projectiles are seating at an angle. Just perhaps you have to either increase the bell or make sure the projectile is straighter before seating it. Do you use a progressive press?

opps. I re-read your post. You said: "It seems I cannot crimp much with my setup before I either get a case bulge or the round will not fit in the barrel." Can you elaborate on that? Sounds like your crimp step may be too much. Remember for a 45 ACP you don't want a lot of crimp.....just enough to remove the bell.

I unloaded several .45 Auto rounds that would not chamber. The powder from a couple came out white. It still burns. I thought it might be H110 until I looked in the container and noticed H110 is cylindrical.
Thats Hodgdon Clays powder

I use it mainly for Trap and Skeet loads but several like it in light pistol loads

Thank you for the replies. I'm using a single-stage RCBS. I'm in the market for a progressive to dedicate to the 45.

It is possible the powder came from another source. I thought they were mine. I don't have H Clays powder.

If I have the correct dies to load 45 auto for a 1911, the chambering issues stem from me not setting the dies correctly. There is a fine line between defective rounds and good ones. When I get the dies set correctly, all rounds chamber and are more accurate than factory which is my end goal.

If I'm not mistaken, Lee, or Hornady make a " bulge buster" die tool that will push your case all the way through a carbide ring, thereby sizing the whole case from top to base. Especially with range brass, case sizes fired, vary greatly. Just a thought... rsbhunter

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, Lee, or Hornsby make a " bulge buster" die tool that will push your case all the way through a carbide ring, thereby sizing the whole case from top to base. Especially with range brass, case sizes fired, vary greatly. Just a thought... rsbhunter
Wouldn't a Lee factory crimp die work to alleviate your problem? I believe it would.

With a taper crimp die all you need is .002-.003 of crimp. Measure the diameter of the case over the bullet and then right on the very edge of the case mouth after crimping. Should be .002-.003 smaller at the case mouth. Remember that the cartridge headspaces off of the case mouth.

We use RCBS PRO 2000 Progressive loader with RCBS Dies and also use LEE Crimper for .45ACP, 9mm & .380. Load with Bullseye/Unique.
Don't remember having any issues with reloading with just the RCBS Dies, but did add the LEE Crimper and never any loading issues.

Attachments

• LEE Crimp.jpg
    LEE Crimp.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 34
I had trouble with a set of hornady dies when I started loading 204 Ruger. Brand new dies a buddy had bought but not used yet. He loaned them and I cut the factory seal on the box. Had a batch run through before I realized that some had the neck pushed out and the wall belled out at the top. Regardless of what was printed by hornady this seater die would not crimp but rather shortened the case. A few other experiences have ruined any trust I may have had in hornady dies. Lee and Redding since.

where was it hanging up at the bullet tip part or at the *** end of the case ? Have loaded tons of 45's never a problem most forgiving round to load. That's GI, LC IMI, and stuff from WW II that am still loading that brass mine are all LP brass !!!!!! Have both RCBS and Redding carb die sets and the dual carb ring dies and also regular die sets and never had a problem. Have seen some %^4* up range brass but I don't pick that stuff up unless its mine. did you mike the brass-too check ???maybe a week half blown out bulged piece .????? that was re-loaded and not spotted at the time.
Did you load that pcs or get it from someone ?