Pin tumbler

Using SS pins does make the cases look good BUT to be absolutely sure there are no pins stuck in the cases you have to do an individual inspection of each case. Way too much work to clean brass FOR ME. And then there is the neck peening issue.

Interesting comments.
I have not had the pins remain in the cases after a good rinses in the wet media tumbler. I bought the correct pins when I bought the tumbler and have not had any problems, maybe because they are the right length and diameter to prevent this. I also found that the cases are very clean and didn't need anything but a good drying after rinsing to prevent spotting. If you let them dry slowly, they will spot. My friend uses a Gorge Foreman rotisserie to tumble the cases while drying. It does a great job.

I also don't want any wax or other forms of a coating agent that can cause the case to not grip the chamber. I even/also clean the cases after sizing to remove and wax or sizing lube before loading (Just Me).

Wet/pin tumbling does not Polish the cases because it has no abrasives that should be removed before loading, but does the best job of cleaning all surfaces of the case. I personally like the finish of the brass after pin tumbling and also have found no peening as mentioned. I recommend following the directions to the letter and you should not have any problems.

I clean my cases with three different methods.
#1 is the pin tumbler for best results.
#2 it the Sonic cleaner for small batches.
#3 is the vibratory corncob media for polishing If I want to sell the cases because it is the shiniest,
but don't like the clean up of them to load. Corn cob media has an abrasive that will increase the wear of your bore if not totally removed before loading. When fired, this abrasive is propelled down the barrel with the already abrasive powder and barrel wear is accelerated.

If you don't believe how much is left in the case, throw a couple of dozen in the Sonic cleaner and check how dirty the solution is after 8 to 10 minutes after being cleaned with abrasive media. If for some reason I want to have polished cases, after polishing with corncob media I always follow up with a good sonic cleaning before loading.

Based on the experience of all three methods, I rarely use the vibratory method any more because it takes more time and extra cleaning steps than the other two before loading. A tip for spot free cases is the use of distilled water on the last rinse.

Just the way I clean cases and why I like the pin tumbler for what it is worth.

J E CUSTOM

To the OP, I have one I would make you a screaming deal on, it is the RCBS unit.

To the OP, I have one I would make you a screaming deal on, it is the RCBS unit.
Looks good, how much?

I know a lot of guys in my gun club who have been using other types of media like corn cob and the like and have many problems getting it out of the primer pocket and case. I showed them what mine look like after wet tumbling with a few drops of Dawn original dish washing liquid, a pinch or two of Lemi-Shine and hot water with steel pins. Most of them are switching to my method! They are much cleaner and stain free. I just shake them out by hand, no SS pins left in them, roll and shake them around in a towel and spread them out to dry overnight.

If you encounter a stuck pin in the neck, carefully push it down into the case with something blunt. Pulling it out with a pick or needle nose can cause undue damage. Not mentioned is the SS pins clean the interior of the case as well removing powder carbon which builds up after several firings. I am very happy with the primer pockets cleaned without any mechanical interference preserving primer seating tightness. Good luck with your new toy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.