Pin tumbler

I separate using a RCBS media separator that I fill with water. Great way to separate pins and wash the brass.

The pins I use do get stuck sideways in 6.5 necks, but they're real obvious. Never in a primer pocket though.

I also corn cob tumble the loaded rounds so they're extra shiny

I use a Dillon case media separator which is a rotating basket in a large pan when they are wet, then put them in a dryer (dehydrator) then back to the separator when dry. Gets all the pins out with exception of occasional pin in the primer hole. Works great for me and is time effective.

I am considering getting a stainless steel pin tumbler, and am curious about the pins getting stuck inside the cases. Does anyone have a method of separating that ensures all pins are out of the cases? Preferred method of drying and separating? Thanks.
I SS pin tumble and have been for years. The SS pins are heavy enough to drop out of the cases or just turn case mouth down and shake them out. I wet tumble with a few drops of Dawn Original dish washing soap and a pinch or two of Lemi-Shine which removes spots and film from your brass. Never had a problem with pins sticking in cases. Brass comes out looking brand new.

Steve:

One more thing after using a dehydrator. I have to shake the brass upside down to ensure all of the pins have been removed. One or two cases can be loaded with pins and even require banging on the sides of the rubber tub of the pin tumbler to get them all out.

Chuck

The pins clean everything right down to the metal no doubt I don't wear rubber gloves and I found tarnish and fingerprints after a while so that's why I go the extra step with the polish they look even brighter and are sealed and even after sitting a week or two they look just as good
Where do u find the polish? mine looks like that when i first take them out

I am considering getting a stainless steel pin tumbler, and am curious about the pins getting stuck inside the cases. Does anyone have a method of separating that ensures all pins are out of the cases? Preferred method of drying and separating? Thanks.

I use a media separator with rinse water to remove the pins and rinse the cases at the same time. It does a good job and leaves nothing it the case. After rinsing, I like to blow the cases dry and place then in the loading blocks to do a final drying with a hot air gun. this keeps the cases from water spotting.

J E CUSTOM

With the vibrating cleaner I always had 20-30% flash holes plugged with media. they had to be punched out. I love the SS pin tumbler with manual separator & heated dryer. Much cleaner & NO stuck pins. Maybe a little more clean up with the water.

And like JE Custom above, I use the RCBS media separator filled with water. Gets EVERY pin out of .223 and 308/30/06 cases. I have not wet tumbled any .243 or 6.5x55 cases yet, so when I do I will be careful to check for any stuck pins...
Food dehydrator after rolling cases around in a towel...

I used SS pins mainly for pistol brass as the cleanliness makes it easier to watch powder levels on my progressive press. I also use it for rifle brass sometimes.

*The "pin clean" brass makes it easier to see signs of case weaknesses and cracks.

I flush the tumbler with brass and pins still in it until the water is clear-ish and soap (Johnsons wash and wax) *run off, then dump into a strainer in a dish pan (2-3 gal?). Rinse, manipulate brass in the water and the pins come out. I lay the brass on a sheet pan, put in oven, temp to 200*, turn off when it gets to temp. I check the brass for pins when I lace on press.

*Lemi-shine use as needed for water pH stabilization.

*edits

Last edited:
Same here...big fan of wet tumbling. Here's the 3 biggest things I've learned along the way:

1: I got tired of having to visually inspect every case for bridged pins. Using the FA pins that came with my tumbler, it seemed like I got stuck pins on every batch. The shortest pins would bridge in Large Primer Pockets and others would bridge across the necks of .308 and 6.5mm cases. I switched to the Southern Shine chip-style media and haven't looked back. I have never had even a flake of the SS media get stuck anywhere. Best thing I've done for my wet tumbler.

2: If you want really nice results, particularly when cleaning truly dirty range brass, tumble with just soap for a half hour, drain the filthy water, and refill with clean water and soap/lemishine. I think that with most people who end up getting mediocre results when wet tumbling, it's either from expecting dirty water to get your brass clean, or water quality/hardness issues.

3: I used to use Dawn dish soap and a quarter to half teaspoon of lemishine. Particularly on pistol brass, I found I was needing a lot of effort to pull the belling/powder funnel out of the brass on my Dillon. That's the downside of having brass that is TOO clean. I switched to an automotive wash & wax soap instead of Dawn and it leaves the slightest coating of wax on the brass. This makes it easier to load (both belling and bullet seating) and the light coating keeps the brass shiny for much longer than ultra-clean brass alone. Dry tumbling after wet tumbling also works, with a little nu-finish or other polish/wax, but it's an extra step that I'd prefer to avoid.

Enjoy your new tumbler!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.