Pierce Engineering - Lansing, Mich

SidecarFlip

I'd sure like some input on Pierce Engineering and how their custom built long range rifles stack up againt the competition like Kirby Allen (Allen Precision) or Red Rock.

Pierce is real close to me so dealing with a local establishment on a cutom built rifle/action is easier, if, they are worth their salt that is.......

Not interested in a tube gun. Not into black guns at all and I realize Pierce does build custom black guns....

Input appreciated as I'm looking hard at having a custom lightweight, medium long range platform built.....

I have built several rifles, for customers, using pierce actions. Some were tube guns but most were 600-1000 Yd. competition rifles. Very fine, well made actions. You couldn't ask for better people to work with than John Pierce and his group.

Thank you for the input....

Best part is we are actually neighbors so to speak. Pierce is about 2 hours from here.

I'm wanting a lightweight medium range rifle with a MacMillan stock and a good trigger and I've heard that their titanium actions are excellent. I need to keep weight as a prime consideration and I'm shooting for no more than 8 pounds scoped and braked (if required).

I had a friend visit Pierce last week and he was very impressed. No fancy store front, just a machine shop with lots of machine tools.

I'll be dropping by and discussing my needs with them and see what they recommend. From what I've been told (by others), the main issue is getting a barrel for the action. I guess barrels have very long lead times.

I've always bought factory rifles (and had good luck accuracy wise with most, notably Savages) but I believe it's time for a lightweight custom rifle.

Dont know your caliber or which barrel your leaning towards but you did mention your building a light rifle and were concerened about wait time...the guys at proof research told me they have some 30 cal barrels in stock if a carbon wrapped barrel fits your needs. I run one of thier barrels on one of my 338 lapuas and it shoots lights out. I have no affiliation with proof just ran into them at a trade show recently.

Jordan@406

Flip, I have spoken to them and they are straight up guys. Too busy for small jobs (Rem action trueing, barrel chambering etc). I think if you get a Krieger blank from Bugholes.com, you should be all set.

I'm not sold on the tube guns since there is no weight advantage. I really expected that there should be if it is designed properly. But the tube chassis is not his product, he just makes a special receiver for integrating into an existing tube gun chassis. I was surprised that even the Tubb 2000 turns out to be a 12lb rifle...

I've never seen any of their smith work but they build a helleva action. I have several of them and all are top notch. Here's a pic of a titanium pierce I just had screwed together in a 6.5 SAUM.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 46
All the positive feedback is just insuring my trip to lansing will be enjoyable and productive and I'll wind up with a rifle I can use and shoots lights out....

I just ordered a Pierce titanium action to build a 26 Nosler on. I'm trying to go light with this rifle and Nathan Dagley recommended Pierce. He will be fitting a Hawk Hill barrel onto it.

John Pierce is a first class guy. Builds great race cars and great rifle actions. He is good friends with Jim Borden so he also gets great advice.

I built a rifle for a customer on action serial number 2. It was a great action, and shot sub .3 moa with all three switch barrels.

Nat Lambeth

I hear John likes the 308 caliber and I'm leaning toward that in as much as 308 has been my favorite caliber for quite a while. I have a dandy Savage lightweight hunter right now that shoots excellent groups for a factory rifle and I like a 308 for bullet weight and ease of procuring good brass plus the variety of pills themselves plus a 308 don't try to break your shoulder with every ignition.

Flip,

I did the same thing you are thinking of. Went and took a walk around the shop, talked to the guys running the equipment, played with an action, and ordered a full build. It was finished just less than a year ago.

I did have mine built on an Eliseo chassis (tube gun ) with a Benchmark barrel and the system shoots lights-out in 338LM. I can't imagine one in a McMillan would shoot any different. Jim Nordhoff is a good guy and will take some time shooting the crap with you to make sure you get what you want.

My future (undecided) 6.5 build will definitely go to Pierce.

Brandon

Flip, only you know what kinds of shots you take.

Let me appeal to you to consider a 7mm RM
With a 180 VLD at 2950fps the trajectory looks as follows:
200 Yard Zero 10mph crosswind
400 -4.3 el 1.9 wind 2273 ftlb
600 -9.6 el 3.0 wind 1808 ftlb
800 -16 el 4.3 wind 1422 ftlb
1000 -23.6 el 5.7 wind 1100 ftlb

The 308, on the other hand (175 SMK @ 2600fps)
200 yd zero 10mph crosswind
400 -8.2 3.1 1442 ftlb
600 -14.3 5.1 1031 ftlb
800 -24.7 7.5 712 ftlb
1000 -38.2 10.3 478 ftlb

With a decent brake on it, recoil should be no problem. Otherwise you are really limiting yourself to 600 yards, which is perhaps all you need. The 7RM or 7WSM for that matter is about as low as one can go and still have the means to reach out a bit. You might prefer the short action WSM with the weight limit you have in mind.

I hear John likes the 308 caliber and I'm leaning toward that in as much as 308 has been my favorite caliber for quite a while. I have a dandy Savage lightweight hunter right now that shoots excellent groups for a factory rifle and I like a 308 for bullet weight and ease of procuring good brass plus the variety of pills themselves plus a 308 don't try to break your shoulder with every ignition.

Im thinking about having a custom gun done as well by them. Need to get some cash together. Thinking a standard pierce action 6.5 CM krieger tube but undecided on the stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.