Picatiny Rail Remy 700, EGW, Near, Other Help?

dig

Mounting two scopes on Remington Long Actions and have decided on a picatiny rail system (currently using Warne two peice bases and Warn Rings). I would like some elevation adjustment but 20 MOA is just too much for my normal hunting ranges and sight in. Farthest game shots are limited to about 600 yrds.I have looked at the Murphy and Near, both look great and offer 10 MOA. EGW offers a 15 MOA at about 1/3 the costs and in stock. Any reccomendatios with actual use would be appreciated.

Weight?
Fit?
Finish?
Costs?
Please Help

Mounting two scopes on Remington Long Actions and have decided on a picatiny rail system (currently using Warne two peice bases and Warn Rings). I would like some elevation adjustment but 20 MOA is just too much for my normal hunting ranges and sight in. Farthest game shots are limited to about 600 yrds.I have looked at the Murphy and Near, both look great and offer 10 MOA. EGW offers a 15 MOA at about 1/3 the costs and in stock. Any reccomendatios with actual use would be appreciated.

Weight?
Fit?
Finish?
Costs?
Please Help

What scope are you using? I've got 20 m.o.a bases on all of my bolt guns...I've never had a problem zeroing the scope at 100 yards. All my scopes are 30mm maintubes and up...so maybe a 1" would cause problems for you.

In any case...Here's an option for you: Ken Farrell, Inc. -- Remington 700 Long in Steel Black Matte - 10 MOA

I've got a couple of Ken's bases...first rate quality. The one listed above is 10 m.o.a. He also lists a 15 m.o.a, 20, 30 and 40. I also have a couple of NightForce bases...but they are 20 m.o.a and I've had Badger....all are first rate quality. But I'm really pleased with the Farrell bases and even more so...his rings.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Last edited:
I have the EGW 20moa base on my Rem. 338 Ultra mag. The fit was excellent.
It has been holding a Burris Black Diamond with no problems.
Tarey

Thanks Gents EGW looks like a great application and can agrue with price. To answer the question above I actually am mounting two. 1. 6.5x20 M4 30 mm and 2. a 4.5x14 VX111 1 inch.

Just bought the weaver tactical yesterday for under 34 bucks. It looks to be machined and coated pretty nice. gonna try it on my edge

If I may, I will suggest that you place a straight edge on top the rail when tightened down. Any miss allignment will be transfered into your scope tube. I learned this the hard way with cheap rails. If it is out of allignment you can bed it as I do all of my rails. But I feel a good fitting match to the receiver that doesnt go out of allignment when tightened will alway be a stronger fit and will also give you the advertise degee of MOA and not more or less. Good rails are a bit pricey. But I have proven to my self over and over you get what you pay for. The importance of a well mounted scope is among the top of my criteria for long range success.

JMO

Jeff gun)gun)

I'm no machinist but I just have to believe there is more difference between a $30-$50 rail compared to a $115 rail, than price and name.

I certainly don't want to but I think I'll take my chances with the pricier stuff being the better stuff.

I just bought the EGW HD mount for my Rem 700 project and a set of their rings. I have good luck with EGW in the past and I am sure it will be the same in the future

Broz, funny you should mention that as I have been wondering that myself thinking that maybe I wasted 34 dollars. It was deffinatley an impulse purchase. ran into an old friend working at a sporting goods store out of town and..........well long story short, I have one!

If I may, I will suggest that you place a straight edge on top the rail when tightened down. Any miss allignment will be transfered into your scope tube. I learned this the hard way with cheap rails. If it is out of allignment you can bed it as I do all of my rails. But I feel a good fitting match to the receiver that doesnt go out of allignment when tightened will alway be a stronger fit and will also give you the advertise degee of MOA and not more or less. Good rails are a bit pricey. But I have proven to my self over and over you get what you pay for. The importance of a well mounted scope is among the top of my criteria for long range success.

JMO

Jeff gun)gun)

You'd better check the rail before and after you mount it to determine where the bend or twist is coming from. Most likely it will be coming from the action and not the rail.

If the action is the culprit, you can always be the rail.

You'd better check the rail before and after you mount it to determine where the bend or twist is coming from. Most likely it will be coming from the action and not the rail.

If the action is the culprit, you can always be the rail.

I didnt have a way to check the action but when I took the EGW off and bolted on a Nightforce it remained flat on top. Then I ordered another Nightforce and fixed another crooked EGW I had. That was the last two I hope I ever have to deal with. Like I said , lesson learned. They were so bad you could actually see a gap under them when you set them on the action. I am aware of the differences in Rem 700 actions over the years, but in these two cases it was indeed the rails. Mis-machined?? packaged wrong?? don't know, all I know is they were flimsey and didnt fit. But hey, I say if they work for ya , go for it.

Jeff

With todays automated milling tolerances, its hard to beleive anyone could be real inconsistant unless set up incorectly to begain with.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts