Phil and Joel Return From Alaska.

Alan,

I'll try to answer your questions in the order you asked them.

I have hunted with Terry before, am in the middle of getting my assistant guide's lic, and am pretty familiar with most of his camps and operation.

First off, Terry and Amber are probably quite different than you and I.. it goes with living in a remote area of Alaska. I wouldn't judge the operation based on them, I judge it on the area that he hunts. It's one of the best around. 65 miles by 55 miles square.

1. Most of his hunts are 2 X 1. He has put two guides and four hunters in one camp. It can be done in most areas. If you are talking about a 1 X 1 hunt, it can also be done.

2. As for focusing on Grizzly first, you can do it but If you are on a combo hunt I would hunt the other specie first. Reason: you can kill a Grizz anywhere in the area, and they are usually spotted while hunting another animal. I wanted to go after Grizz, but still hunted sheep because I could cover more ground and maximize my opportunity of seeing one. They are nomadic animals and cover alot of territory in one day.
Terry's area' is a good area for inland Grizzly, remember it's still a Grizzly, and as Phil says "there's alot of air between those bears". I would say your opportunity to kill a sheep is greater than a bear. Simply because there are more sheep.

3. I will be back again for both Sheep and Grizz. I already killed a good Dall with him, and really want a Grizz, but will split the hunt and hunt for sheep first then Grizz.

4. Food was excellent both in the main lodge and in camp.

5. Don't know what equipment you are talking about, but all you need is your clothing, personal items, and of your rifle.

6. I've known Amber for quite a few years.

7. I would'nt do anything different. I learned what to expect my first time there.

8. I would hunt sheep first then Grizzly.

9. I don't go by any suggested pack list.. I've been booking hunts and hunting big game since the early '80's.. I learned what I need over the years. I would be happy to help you if you need to know what to pack.

10. No, we did'nt jump on a cancellation hunt. He had an opening, I was alreading going, and I invited Phil along.
I have some ability to negotiate price with him, especially on short notice, as I've booked more than a few hunters with him.

Feel free to get in touch with me if you want to talk about it more.

Last edited:
Phil and Joel,

Congrats on a great hunt! Awesome Trophies you guys got and amazing scenery as well. I can only hope to one day venture up north to do some hunting. Thanks again for an awesome story and pics and Great Shooting as well.

What calibers were you both shooting if you dont mind my asking?

ALOHA!!!

Wildcat

Sorry for the late reply, just spotted your post.
Joel was using a 300 RUM w/200 gr Accubonds. A Rem action, Hart barrel and Mc Millian stock.
When the call came I was messin' with a Rem M700 LSS 338 RUM, had been trued up by a local smith and shootin' good. I used a 225 gr Accubond.
We both shot at the camp range before the hunt, showed the guides some tight groups at 300 yds. They didn't hesitate in letting us take the shots presented.
Thanks
Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.