Pet loads for 22-250

JohnyRingo

I just got a new Browning 22-250 with a 26" barrel and 1:9 twist. I used to shoot 55 grain VMaxes, but Wyoming now allows big game hunting with a 22 centerfire as long as it is with a 60 grain bullet. Anybody have a pet load for a 60 grain bullet?

I shoot Nosler 90 grain Accubonds out of my 243 and they make 70 grain Accubonds for the 22-250. Has anybody loaded and shot those?

This rifle will be used on coyotes and my son's first deer and antelope. Let me know. Thanks.

60 gr Nosler Partition, 65 Sierra game king, 64 Winchester soft point have all worked well out of 223 and should work out of the 22-250 especially if you slow them down some and stay away from the shoulder bone. You might also give the Speer 62 Gold Dot a try if you can find some. It is a bonded bullet and the 120 gr out of my 6.5 Grendel did an AWESOME job on a deer this year for me. They also make it in 77 gr but with your twist you may not be able to stabilize it. Then there are the Barnes mono bullets that should do a good job. Just be picky about your shot with any of them and stay away from the shoulder and you should be OK.

Try Barnes or hammer bullets. A buddy of has killed antelope with 62gr Barnes ttsx and I've seen deer killed extremely fast with a 70gr Barnes tsx. Monos seem to be a good option for medium game with the 22 centerfires.

I have looked into the Hammer bullets but they recommend 1:8.5 twist or faster and my barrel is 1:9.

Last edited:
The next thing I have to contend with is restricted length of the cartridge because of the detachable box magazine that Browning XBolts have. I had to reseat my 55 grain bullets to shoot them. The advertised COAL of a 22-250 is 2.350 and I am at 2.400. These long range bullets make the COAL hard to use in this rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.