parker hale 243 reloads tight chamber

old243

This is my first post on the long range hunting site . Very impressed so far. I have been reloading for my 243 savage model 100L bolt handle on the south side. Purchased this while in high school , so have been down the road togather a lot, I am in mid 70s.
Tried to use the reloads in my sons parker-hale 243, they were so tight that the bolt would not close. I tried some factory loads and a new empty casing and they fit and ejected easily. I have just been neck resizing my reloads, for the savage

Would the chamber enlarge after a lot of usage, due to wear, or pressure. Or do chambers vary a little in size. I didn't realise that the reloads were a little larger, until I tried them in another rifle. The savage still shoots accurately, although maybe not as tight as I would like, probably I am the weak link. I have a Leopold vx2 3-9 50 scope on it which I have been quite happy with. Brought home a few Ontario whitetails with it.

Would someone have an opinion , about this. Old243

You will likely have to full length size your brass for the second rifle. If you still run into binding/tight chambering I would give the second rifle its own brass supply.
It's likely just chamber dimension variances at play here.

Thanks for the replies, I have some new brass. Will load up some shells for the parker hale. Haven't had a chance to mike the brass yet My grandson has just got his licence and will be using it on this falls deer hunt. I load 100 gr nosler partitions . Most of my hunting , with the 243 is in open fields, for deer, sometimes fairly long distances. This bullet has performed well for me.
Also load 70 gr hollow point for chucks and coyotes. old243

Thanks for the replies, I have some new brass. Will load up some shells for the parker hale. Haven't had a chance to mike the brass yet My grandson has just got his licence and will be using it on this falls deer hunt. I load 100 gr nosler partitions . Most of my hunting , with the 243 is in open fields, for deer, sometimes fairly long distances. This bullet has performed well for me.
Also load 70 gr hollow point for chucks and coyotes. old243

Somebody gave me a bunch of used and loaded 243 brass from their elderly relative. They would not fit in either of my Rem new 700's. They had a couple of problems that even full length resizing did not fix. At first I thought on trimming to case length and they were all indeed all way over length. Like the person never trimmed the cases. So I loaded a couple and still did not fit. I looked at them and started measuring everything. Apparently 243 is one of the cases know to flow brass forward into the neck. So the whole problem was solved by neck turning all the brass.

What ever gun they were shot in was done with a larger reamer or many 1000's of rounds had enlarged the bullet area before the barrel throat

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.