+P chambers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bore scope every barrel prior to me having it chambered, got the gunsmith to cut the "coin" off the back, and returned it to me with the finished barrel. Amazing how some barrels are a Copper mine.

If you can look in a new barrel with a borescope and tell it's gonna be a copper mine you're waaay ahead of most.

I have used several different manufacturers for barrels (most were Hawk Hill) and I have only had one that did not meet my expectations (not Hawk Hill). Took it off and left it in the basement till I found someone that was interested in it then gave it away. Don't even think a sample of one out of thousands is something to scream about. I don't think I have ever read a barrel manufacturers barrel warranty. I look at it like buying a watermelon. I picked it, my bad. Over the fence it goes. I have a groundhog that takes care of it from there.

I have been scoping barrels since'87

And

It is not that hard to figure out after you have seen a few that do copper badly...tooling marks are the key, rough finish in the groove and on the lands, or either.

I had one that was lapped too smooth.
Those are signs for building copper and lead if applies. Any rough surface will catch any debris including carbon.

is that a question or statement..........
IDK, probably a part of my illogical thought process, but now I'm confused too?

Zach Galifianakis Algorithm GIF by Product Hunt

😂

So, I'm throwing this out here and I'm going to be very blunt about it and I also posted this on Snipers Hide and Accurate Shooter.

Here is my stance on +P chamber throats. You're cutting away the height of the lands as well as making the throat longer (as much as another .750" from what we've seen) as I understand it and from what I've seen in several barrels customers have sent back to us. So, guys think they can run a heavier powder charge and keep pressures down etc... to get more velocity. Ok fine but by doing that you can expect it to have a negative impact on barrel life/accuracy.

This is another variable beyond our control. You want to put a bigger camshaft in your cars engine and a bigger carburetor I get it but then you add nitro methane in your gas tank or put nitrous on it as well to go even faster.... there is a tradeoff for going faster and doing things like this. You don't get to eat your cake and keep it to.

So, I've told all my guys in the office here... I will not warranty any barrel that a customer thinks the barrel died early etc... and they are running a +P chamber set up.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Frank you don't really think the guys racing in the Indy 500 worry about Engine Longevity. They don't hold the Engine under Responsible fir the driver blowing it up.
I wouldn't even think about asking you to warranty a barrel that I'm running 3250 fps with a +P barrel.
That's what I wanted so you built.I f ut nakes one season in co.petition I'm satisfied.
Thank you/Bartlein for making my the Best Barrels out there.

Many people are new into the sport, and they are subject to marketing hype. They want a hot rod cartridge, they want a box magazine that limits COAL(increasing jump length to the lands), they want a +P Chamber, all with ZERO thought of barrel life.

400-600 rounds later, their barrel is shooting like a shotgun, and they blame it on the barrel maker.

Here's your sign!

Many people are new into the sport, and they are subject to marketing hype. They want a hot rod cartridge, they want a box magazine that limits COAL(increasing jump length to the lands), they want a +P Chamber, all with ZERO thought of barrel life.

400-600 rounds later, their barrel is shooting like a shotgun, and they blame it on the barrel maker.

Here's your sign!
Sounds like my neighbors..................blame everyone else.....well I'm the cause there's no peace in the Middle East, world hunger and outcome of the last elections.......not to mention her poor life choices

I have a +P chamber in a 338 Lapua Improved that I load with N570. I understand barrel life may be shorter. I don't find I need more than one 300gr Berger moving at 3200fps to drop an elk. I am 52 and hope to live and hunt until 72. I need 5 practice rounds per year, 1 for the elk and perhaps 1 for a hunting buddy to take an elk. So I need roughly 140 rounds beyond the 150 rounds used to break in the barrel and to develop the load. I will let the person that inherits the rifle know there isn't any warranty on the barrel and they might only be able to hunt with it for another 10-20 years.

I am packing a single shot 15lb rifle with a 30" barrel and a muzzle brake up and down ridges for a reason. I will happily take the added velocity of +P versus another ~2" of barrel.

All kidding aside, it is a performance modification that has a negative impact on barrel life. Obviously, the downside is more relevant if you are target shooting 100s of rounds a year versus maximizing downrange performance for hunting. I don't think anyone pushing the limits should expect a barrel warranty. That includes the barrel burning 30cals like a 300RUM, 300NMIn 30-378, etc..

So, I'm throwing this out here and I'm going to be very blunt about it and I also posted this on Snipers Hide and Accurate Shooter.

Here is my stance on +P chamber throats. You're cutting away the height of the lands as well as making the throat longer (as much as another .750" from what we've seen) as I understand it and from what I've seen in several barrels customers have sent back to us. So, guys think they can run a heavier powder charge and keep pressures down etc... to get more velocity. Ok fine but by doing that you can expect it to have a negative impact on barrel life/accuracy.

This is another variable beyond our control. You want to put a bigger camshaft in your cars engine and a bigger carburetor I get it but then you add nitro methane in your gas tank or put nitrous on it as well to go even faster.... there is a tradeoff for going faster and doing things like this. You don't get to eat your cake and keep it to.

So, I've told all my guys in the office here... I will not warranty any barrel that a customer thinks the barrel died early etc... and they are running a +P chamber set up.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Thank you for clarifying that.
I had been considering doing a +P but this puts the final nail in that coffin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts