Dies for tight chambers

lever-hed

Just curious what type of dies do some of you use for tight chambers. I am looking for a body die I can use instead of bumping with a FL die. thanks:)

Redding makes small-base body dies in select calibers. The small-base dies are sized to minimum SAAMI specs specifically for tight chambers.

Ditto on the Redding suggestion here. Actually, I believe the redding standard dies are set to SAAMI minimums, and the Small Base dies are a bit tighter still. First rate quality, and they do offer body dies that won't touch the neck at all.

What can I say? I'm an unabashed Redding fan.

Kevin Thomas

Wilson for neck sizing, body sizing, shoulder bumping and bullet seating. Any of the others will work fine for full length sizing but once they are fire formed you won't need the full length often.

I'm resizing brass used from factory bbl to be used in tight chambered aftermarket bbl. Well, obviously could just buy new brass but why waste 250 cases??
Kevin - I agree I luv the redding stuff, I have a body die but so far I hav e not been able to get the old fired cases down enough to fit, and I'm only 1/1000 off ! **** !
I looked on redding's site and all I could find were trim dies and competition base dies, It doesnt look like they have what Im lookin for- , does anyone know the product #? I hate using the FL dies with all the lube, alos because I'm gonna be neck sizing primarily (after I get these boyz sized down properly)
thanks for the hep.:)

Lev-Hed,

If I'm reading you right here, the problem may not be the die itself, but the shell holder. Redding makes a set of competition (I didn't name it!) shell holders that are a novel idea. It's a set of shellholders that are set in .001" increments of one another. The idea is that you can set the die with the lowest shell holder, and then adjust a thou at a time by simply replacing the shellholder with the next one in the set. If it's length from datum line that's the issue here, this may be your solution; that or grinding down a standard shell holder yourself. Personally, I'd go the Redding route (yes, I'm lazy), but it's your call. If it's actually a circumfrence dimensional issue, then we're back to the SB body die as a possible solution.

Kevin

By the way, if I didn't make it clear, Redding does have body dies, both standard and SB. They're catalog items, and should be readily available from any number of sources. Check the website again, I'm sure you just over looked it.

Hope that helps,

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. That helps. I talked to Redding and as you noted they do have SB body dies, just not in 25-06, BUT, they do have 30-06, same shoulder angle etc so looks like I'm going to be lazy too and get one.:D Thanks again.

ps. ..yes its a circumference dimensional issue (about .5 cm above the rabbit/web area).

Last edited:
Sorry but I gotta ask; if you're not sizing the neck, what's teh difference between a 25-06 SB die and a 30-06 SB die???? :rolleyes:

Sales & Marketing strikes again!

Hey, as long as it works . . .

Kevin

No difference of course, maybe I put it a little too literally but I was looking in the wrong section of their catalog, and overlooked that that the parent case will work,when I was looking for ".25-06" . Tech set me straight. ha

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.