Overwhelmed..need ammo suggestions

Well I am always leery of ammo that one can find at a Gun Show. But I could not resist temptation when Bitterroot Valley Ammunition had ammo at $9 per box of 20. So I picked up some 69 gr Match HPBT, 75 gr Tactical, and 55 gr VMAX. Hopefully, I don't get burned on an impulse buy and my rifle likes some of their offerings. I gotta place an order with AIM Surplus for another project I am working on, so I may pick up some of the Prvi match ammo and try it out too. If none of that works, I guess I will try Black Hills. I need to start looking at a single-stage press for a future purchase. Any recommendations on quality kit here (Lee, RCBS)? Also, is there a good manual to learn how to get started in reloading? Now, if I can only get to the range!

The Lee kit is a good kit for a good price. I am not sure what your budget is. For instance, I prefer the RCBS scale, and the RCBS Uniflow powder measure to the ones from LEE. That being said, the Lee equipment will get your loading Good Ammo for a good price. I do like the Lee Turret 4 die per head press real well. It would *NOT* be my first choice if you plan on heavy duty brass resizing. For instance, if you plan on using military 30-06 brass and making it into 25-06, that is rough on a press. For that I break out my RCBS Rock Chucker press. The lee turret press is nice because you can order extra heads, 1 head per setup as it were to save on Re-Setup time when you need to load up more of your favorite ammo.

One of my absolute favorite books is the Lee manual. Another favorite is the Lyman manual. Those are two of the most used books I own.

The lee of course does pitch Lee products, but I actually Like the Lee Collet dies. I would not use them for a semi-auto however! You have to actually *Gasp* Read up on how to properly set it up, or you will end up with "Collet" marks on your necks. I hear folks saying how this die sucks all the time...I usually just laugh and not bother trying to explain. It comes with instructions on how to avoid that issue :) Heh. For a semi-auto you need a full length resizer anyhow, not a collet die. For your .223, I would use the Redding Type S dies with the nitride bushings: Redding Neck Sizer Die Bushing 223 Diameter Titanium Nitride - MidwayUSA

Good shooting,
Gary
P.S. I do not personally care for the electric powder dispenser systems At ALL. Another think to note, Powder measures are so sensitive that a ceiling fan on high, or a swamp cooler, can really screw up your weights.

Gary,
THank you for your guidance on reloading. Sounds like I need to pick up one of the reloading manuals and start checking things out.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.