outsmarting experienced coyotes

texascowboy

There are a few coyotes that roam neighboring property and my own, it would appear that they know not to come to a call because using a mouth and foxpro i have seen them in a brushy draw but not been able to draw them out into the open for a shot. gun) Any advice will be greatly appreciated as these coyotes have become a great nuisance stealing puppies from a barn near the house and i would love to get rid of them thanks.

Have you tried the canine pup in distress call? What call are you using? If it is on private property can you spot light at night for them legally in your area? If so, get a buddy to hold the spotlight for you with it turned off. Use a canine pup in distress call and about 3 to 5 mins in have your buddy turn the spot light on up into the air then slowly bring it down and scan the area and then turn it off and call again. Rinse and repeat. Coyotes are a lot less cautious at night.

ive mostly used distress calls and we have tried spotlighting but once we spotted the coyotes a neighbor drove up to check on his cows and scared them off thanks for the advice though i think ill try that.

Yotes in my area are very heavily hunted and very savvy. They hang up at well over 500 yards out in the lava rocks.

Yotes in another area are sensitive to calls. They simply don't respond.

Solution to both situations was a LRH rifle sufficiently accurate, with the right pilot :), to reach the longer further than necessary.

With the LRH rig and a bit of a shift in tactics things improved.

The LRH rig is a 270 Extreme magnum. Not absolutely necessary, but it turns out pretty decent for the job.

Think out of the box a bit.:)

hunt them silent from a hide. and use skunk oil for a cover sent..i hear they love to roll in dead skunks.. and bring a big knife encase the situation gets up close and personal :)...like the above said..a 500 yard rifle wouldnt hurt

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.