Outfitter recommendations

I did inquire with this outfitter 3 weeks ago and was told that they would hold the deposit for the following season. That's better than nothing however in the even that my wife, children, or I happen to get Covid and there are issues with medical bills, extended time off of work, etc. I would want a refund. Just too many unknowns at this point. I guess I will wait a month or so and contact this outfitter again and see if they can offer a better solution. If not, then I can start inquiring with other outfitters. There were a few that I was interested in so thats good. I have some options.

I must admit I find that REALLY surprising and like you would not be willing to put down a deposit under those conditions. That type of response would very likely take that outfitter off my consideration list. Since all a deposit does is hold a specific time slot, and most outfitters are working overtime to reschedule dozens of 2021 hunts already I think you will find that there is huge unused capacity in the next 3 years. Many outfitters are having to cancel from their end because of quarantine and isolation regulations for out of country and out of State travelers as well as physical distancing and testing requirements of Public Health orders in many places. What normal hunter can afford to travel to the hunt location, isolate for 14 days, and then go on the hunt.

The recession we are already in, and the potential it could last 2 to 3 years is going to put a big smack down on discretionary spending like travel, cruises, hotel stays and hunting trips abroad or out of state. It will make 2008-2009 look like a cake walk. New car sales are off 80% currently and consumer spending has dropped out of sight. Funny how many people have forgotten just how bad it got only ten years ago.

I must admit I find that REALLY surprising and like you would not be willing to put down a deposit under those conditions. That type of response would very likely take that outfitter off my consideration list. Since all a deposit does is hold a specific time slot, and most outfitters are working overtime to reschedule dozens of 2021 hunts already I think you will find that there is huge unused capacity in the next 3 years. Many outfitters are having to cancel from their end because of quarantine and isolation regulations for out of country and out of State travelers as well as physical distancing and testing requirements of Public Health orders in many places. What normal hunter can afford to travel to the hunt location, isolate for 14 days, and then go on the hunt.

The recession we are already in, and the potential it could last 2 to 3 years is going to put a big smack down on discretionary spending like travel, cruises, hotel stays and hunting trips abroad or out of state. It will make 2008-2009 look like a cake walk. New car sales are off 80% currently and consumer spending has dropped out of sight. Funny how many people have forgotten just how bad it got only ten years ago.
I feel that our country is so divided on Covid and maybe this particular outfitter feels it's a hoax or is blown out of proportion. When you know of a coworkers healthy 30 year old brother contracting it and dying at home after walking to the bathroom as his case didn't appear sever enough to require hospitalization, you'll realize it's not a hoax and not blown out of proportion. We simply do not yet know enough about this virus and why it affects some people like a common cold and others die. Anyway, I will certainly inquire with another outfitter as well as ask this outfitter again if he has or will make exceptions to his policy regarding cancellations and refunds. Part of me really wants to do a diy hunt though however do to having to do it solo, I don't think it's the best idea right now.

I did inquire with this outfitter 3 weeks ago and was told that they would hold the deposit for the following season. That's better than nothing however in the even that my wife, children, or I happen to get Covid and there are issues with medical bills, extended time off of work, etc. I would want a refund. Just too many unknowns at this point. I guess I will wait a month or so and contact this outfitter again and see if they can offer a better solution. If not, then I can start inquiring with other outfitters. There were a few that I was interested in so thats good. I have some options.

Just how much was the deposit ?

Hmm, given all that is going on, I would not be too concerned over $700.

My sheep hunt in 2017, was 6 grand plus tips and worth every penny.

As A friend of Leno's said: "I don't want to die with regrets." (Spoken after he bought a 5 million Bugatti Chiron)

Or my favorite" "When you're wearing a diaper, drooling on yourself and don't know who you are, it really doesn't matter if you're broke."

As A friend of Leno's said: "I don't want to die with regrets." (Spoken after he bought a 5 million Bugatti Chiron)

Or my favorite" "When you're wearing a diaper, drooling on yourself and don't know who you are, it really doesn't matter if you're broke."

I understand what you are trying to say but a lot of guys can't afford 6 grand for a hunt. On top of that we aren't talking a once in a lifetime Sheep hunt, just a Speed Goat or Deer trip. For a GREAT many $700 is real money and $2,100 may take a year or two to save up. Congratulations on having so much money that isn't a consideration for you but in all reality, outfitters need to adapt to what is happening or they are going to be severely short of business. I don't think anyone should be made to feel less than committed to hunting just because blowing 700 bucks isn't just like buying a Coke to them.

Final thought: Up till you are wearing the diaper, being broke really sucks.

Yeah but $700 Canadian is a lot less. (Chuckle)

Guess a question of priorities. I drive an 18 year old pickup so I can buy guns and go on hunts. If I bought a 2020 version of my truck, the payments would be $1000+/month. That's a sheep hunt and 2 new rifles every year.

Yes, given the scope of things $700 isn't going to make or break me. Just have a hard time ****ing it away though. Let's see how this plays out over the next few months.

I understand what you are trying to say but a lot of guys can't afford 6 grand for a hunt. On top of that we aren't talking a once in a lifetime Sheep hunt, just a Speed Goat or Deer trip. For a GREAT many $700 is real money and $2,100 may take a year or two to save up. Congratulations on having so much money that isn't a consideration for you but in all reality, outfitters need to adapt to what is happening or they are going to be severely short of business. I don't think anyone should be made to feel less than committed to hunting just because blowing 700 bucks isn't just like buying a Coke to them.

Final thought: Up till you are wearing the diaper, being broke really sucks.
Well said. Personally I understand that they need to cover costs for leases, hire help, etc. and if you lose half of your hunters and gimmes day all their deposits back you might be in the hole. Personally, I would not want to try to make a living off of being a hunting or fishing guide because it is so reliant on the economy, environmental factors, etc.. A good side job/business yes. So I do see and understand both sides of this. It is what it is. I'd consider my family as middle class, maybe upper middle class. $700 will not break us. But that still doesn't mean I'd toss it in the wind.

I highly recommend Pronghorn Guide Service if you want a book buck. Tony Eli and Dave all great guides who know Antelope. I was one of three hunters in AZ in 2016. We killed three bucks over 90 SCI and BC by 1pm opening morning on public ground. My buck scored 92 2/8 BC and is the top or top few high BC entries since then Iam pretty sure. They guide a lot in Wyoming also and do very well up there. The most consistent guides out there as far as putting big antelope on the ground.

Can any of you guys recommend any good outfitters for Antelope and/or Mule Deer? Hoping to find one with good reviews that is also long range friendly as many are not. I did look at some of the ones listed in the outfitter profiles here.
jboutfittersofsoco.com 7196883736. Will get you setup

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.