Recommend an outfitter

Discussion in 'Antelope Hunting' started by encoreguy, Jan 27, 2012.

1. encoreguy

encoreguy Well-Known Member

I am looking to take my son on our first western hunt from Indiana. I am looking for a good antelope outfitter. I am an experienced pistol hunter looking to hunt with mt 7-08 Encore. This is my last chance to hunt with my son before he goes to college so I would like it to be a good experience. Good hunting, good trophy potential, interesting country and good people at a reasonable price. Did I mention my son was going to college? More bills to pay. Thanks for your recommendations!

2. Topgun 30-06

Topgun 30-06 Well-Known Member

You won't need to pay an outfitter for what you want. Call the Wyoming F&G Office out in Gillette and ask for the list of ranchers in antelope unit 23 that allow hunting for a fee. Then start calling them and set something up for an access fee, but make sure you find out that they have enough acreage to suit you. You should do that ASAP and lock something up. The license applications are done online on the F&G website and the last day to do that is 3/15. However, there is a ton of leftover licenses every year for that unit because it's almost all private land. Therefore, you can actually wait to buy your license and Conservation Stamp that's required when the leftover licenses go on sale in July. You will save thousands of dollars and have just as good a hunt than going with an outfitter. Most ranches will either let you camp there or you can motel it in Gillette, but if you do the latter you will want to set that in stone ASAP too.

3. Nimrod

Nimrod Well-Known Member

Sent you a PM

4. Topgun 30-06

As of now I haven't received a PM!

5. Topgun 30-06

Still nothing in my inbox!

6. Nimrod

Nimrod Well-Known Member

I sent Encore Guy the pm sorry for the confusion!

7. RockZ

RockZ Well-Known Member

I have really enjoyed hunting with one of the LRH sponsors
    Tyler Sims Outfitters

8. Dirty Steve

Dirty Steve Well-Known Member

I will second the Tyler Simms recommendation. I took my son there for his first western big game hunt in 2010. They paid special attention to him, treated him very well, he learned a lot. We had a great hunt and a lot of fun with good people.

Dirty Steve
    (from Indiana as well)

9. Scratch

Scratch Well-Known Member

Dirty Steve
    If you're looking for a non expensive hunt and would still like to take a 15" plus antelope contact Sky Mountain Outfitters in Wyoming.

Home

Scratch

10. Topgun 30-06

Scrath---Are you the owner or with that outfit you just recommended in that link on your first post on this website? If you are, I think you may want to read the rules of the website on advertising!

11. Dirty Steve

Dirty Steve Well-Known Member

Not looking for an antelope hunt. I was providing input to the OP on an outfitter that I had hunted with and was extremely pleased with. When I take my younger son out for his first western big game hunt, I will definitely be hunting with Tyler again.

Dirty Steve

12. Scratch

Scratch Well-Known Member

Top gun
    Oops...thanks for the heads up

Scratch

13. Topgun 30-06

No problem! I just didn't want you to get in trouble with the boss who has to pay to keep this great site up and running!

14. cummin_un_glued

cummin_un_glued Well-Known Member

bump for Tyler my dad and i hunted with RockZ last year and i'm taking my wife this year. Had a blast couldnt have asked for a better hunt.