Out of scope adjustment

gedsar

Hi Guys,
Just got my 7mm SAUM back from the smith. First shot at 25yds was 12in low, wind it up 48in go back to 100 and now is about 2in low so go to wind up and thats all she's got. The rifle was supposed to be fitted with a +20moa rail, its got one on there not sure if its + or not. I was more worried about getting it low enough not high enough. This is the first rail I've had. All my other rifles have ended up roughly in the middle of the range when sighted never run out before. Any ideas how to fix this or what may be wrong.

i guess that the first thing to do is to figure out what you have now.
are there any manufactures markings on the rail?

ask the guy that put it together.

Ok, just set it up in the lathe and run a dial along the rail. The front is 10thou higher than the back. So next Q is how much shim do I need to put under the back to get it right, until I get the right rail sent up.

The scope (burris FF11 tact 4.5 -14) has 40 moa adjustment. It is full up and 2moa low, so if I put 30thou under the back does this sound right?

Nothing sounds right.

The front of your scope base should be lower than the rear. Normally, you can see the taper in a 20moa base. It sounds like something is really out of kilter here. Your smith should have noticed this. I'd bring the rifle back to determine what the problem is. Maybe it is a mis-manufactured base but I wouldn't resolve this by shimming the base.

Just my 2 cents

Yeah I know, I am just looking to shim it to get it shooting for a week long hunt in 10days. It will defianately be getting fixed properly after it.

maybe he put it on backwards, if it's that simple, easy fix!
if there are no markings on the base at all then i guess it could get put on wrong.
super last resort, how about the burris rings with the inserts

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.